VMware Cloud Community
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jboss autodiscover fails after jmx-plugin change

I made a slight change to add a metric the the existing jmx-plugin.xml file. after adding the change to my agent and to my server the jboss monitoring on that server ceased. the jboss 4.0 availabilit icon turned grey and all serivce icons were grey. I backed out the change to the plugin and restarted both hq-server and the agent. no luck, jboss is still not monitored.

below is the agent.log error trace. i've done everything short of delete my data dir and or reinstall the agent completely. I have done a number of customizations so i'd rather not start from scratch...

thanks in advance,

Deeboh

2007-04-17 23:58:18,492 ERROR [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Unable to run autodiscoverer for plugin: JBoss 4.0
(consult product setup help): javax/management/MBeanException
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/management/MBeanException
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.jboss.JBossDetector.discoverJBossServices(JBossDetector.java:539)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.jboss.JBossDetector.discoverServices(JBossDetector.java:526)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ServerDetector.discoverResources(ServerDetector.java:192)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan_internal(Runtim
eAutodiscoverer.java:292)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan(RuntimeAutodisc
overer.java:220)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java:165)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:41)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
deeboh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Crap. It was permissions again. My env is fairly complex due to security measures and the filesystem authorization setup. I may have to run hyperic-agents as root to save me from pulling out what little hair I have left.

Deeboh.
0 Kudos
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The plugin just needs to access to the various JBoss client .jar files.  So, one option would be to leave your filesystem perms as-is and unpack a vanilla jboss distro where the agent can read and add to agent.properties:

jboss.installpath=/tmp/jboss-x.x.x

If you enable DEBUG logLevel in agent.properties (hair saver!), you can see where the plugin is currently looking to resolve the jboss plugin classpath elements.

On Apr 18, 2007, at 4:06 PM, deeboh wrote:

Crap. It was permissions again. My env is fairly complex due to security measures and the filesystem authorization setup.  I may have to run hyperic-agents as root to save me from pulling out what little hair I have left.

Deeboh.