VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

global alerts --will they monitor all disks with this definition ???

I have created an alert to specify on a single disk if its space gets less than 10%. using FILE SERVERmount service . I use the usemount metric. If I edit under monitoring defaults the usemount and put a check for it . Does this NOW use the one alert I cretated on a machine to monitor all disks on this machine and possibly other platforms disks with this10%. ????

Not sure what the Global edit is doing .. Is it for all platforms for all usemount metrics I dont see any % for usemount in this template.

Also what does it mean to set metric as indicator .. What is this doing ???
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When I saw this post, and remembered you were working with the Open Source version of HQ, I immediately realized that the information I provided to you in our email thread on Wednesday was incorrect. In my work with multiple versions of HQ throughout that day, I managed to confuse the availability of features by referencing the wrong box during our communication. My apologies for this misinformation.

"Resource Type Alerts", a.k.a. Global Alerts, are defined in the HQ docs here:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/Resource+Type+Alerts

...and are a feature of the Enterprise Subscription version of HQ. Contrary to our earlier communication, they are not currently available in the Open Source version. This means you will need to define alerts for each individual resource to get the desired results.

I assume, also based on our email communication, you mean "Use Percent" when you say "usemount" when referring to the FileServer Mount metric with which you are working. If this is not correct, please let me know.

You can find detailed information about setting metrics as indicators, and what exactly this means on the page detailing HQ Monitoring Defaults Configuration here:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/HQ+Monitoring+Defaults+Configuration#HQMonito...
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor

Thank yo very much for your help.
0 Kudos