VMware Cloud Community
ebailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

config and log tracking features

Can anyone point to any documentation and or experiences with the above features using Hyperic? Can config tracking provide of history of who changes a file as well as what was changed?

I am going to try these features out tonight, but I would appreciate input from everyone else.

Thanks,

Ed
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dgorman_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The log and config tracking features of hyperic are pretty cool.

Some cool features:

Log monitoring:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
monitoring /var/log/messages for "error":
Navigate to the platform you're trying to monitor,

Select the check box to enable the log monitoring then enable log montioring put in the word "error" in the regex field. It is case insensitive which is nice.

You can then "echo "error" >> /var/log/messages" and watch the alarms come in. You'll need to set up an alarm for it. (I assume you're able to set up alarms)

Config tracking:
We have many people here chaning many files. One file we don't
want changed is /etc/hosts. If you enable the config tracking (near the log tracking mechanism) you will get an alert if the file changes in any way. This is useful for auditing as well.

Let me know if you need more clarification of if this didn't answer your questions.

Regards,
Dan Gorman

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgorman_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The log and config tracking features of hyperic are pretty cool.

Some cool features:

Log monitoring:
monitoring /var/log/messages for "error":
Navigate to the platform you're trying to monitor,

Select the check box to enable the log monitoring then enable log montioring put in the word "error" in the regex field. It is case insensitive which is nice.

You can then "echo "error" >> /var/log/messages" and watch the alarms come in. You'll need to set up an alarm for it. (I assume you're able to set up alarms)

Config tracking:
We have many people here chaning many files. One file we don't
want changed is /etc/hosts. If you enable the config tracking (near the log tracking mechanism) you will get an alert if the file changes in any way. This is useful for auditing as well.

Let me know if you need more clarification of if this didn't answer your questions.

Regards,
Dan Gorman
0 Kudos
ebailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply - does Hyperic keep a history of config change alerts in the database for easy auditing? We are trying to get away from using email for such things. I am trying to get our change management police interested in Hyperic so I am looking for features they might like.

Warning - unrelated question:)

Does Hyperic keep a log of users actions, for example when a user disables an alert?

Thanks

Ed
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The UI will keep all config changes and log messages for a configured amount of time. By default this is set to 31 days.

As for audit trail on alerts, this is a feature that is planned in 3.x later this year.
0 Kudos
patel_jayesh_j
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have any one tested log tracking feature with WebLogic Server resource ?

I have configured exact same simple log tracking for both platform resource and weblogic server resource. I do see alert generated for platform , however it doesn't work for weblogic server resource.

Thanks,
Jayesh
0 Kudos