VMware Cloud Community
matt_ftr
Contributor
Contributor

bulk alert configuration

Hi All.

I've recently installed Hyperic HQ on my mottley collection of 40ish linux/windows servers, and am suitably impressed so far.

There is one thing I'm trying to do which in my mind should be simple, but doesn't seem to be... and that is to set up a single alert when any of my disks/partitions goes below 10% free space.

It looks like I have to set it up 150 times... surely there's a better/quicker way! Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Matt
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Bulk alerts definitions are currently only available in the enterprise subscription. There are two different types:

Resource Type Alerts, alerts that apply to every resource of a given type in your environment: http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Resource+Type+Alerts

Group Based Alerts, alerts that only apply to the given group of compatible resources: http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Group+Alerts

-Ryan
pcampbel
Contributor
Contributor

Not a completely hands free operation, but using alertdef create -server "Thing to alert on" at least bypasses the webpages you have to go through to set up an alert. However, it does not allow for all the configuration options of the webpage. Unless I am missing something.
0 Kudos
matt_ftr
Contributor
Contributor

Aha, that makes sense. I think I'll investigate that!

Many thanks!
0 Kudos
pcampbel
Contributor
Contributor

The last comment uses the hq-shell interface.
matt_ftr
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, I got that. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
VoodooZ
Contributor
Contributor

euh?
Although tedious I was looking forward to using the hq-shell alert create method (as suggested above) but aparently this is not even available in the open-source version either? (3.1.1)

Come on... don't make go back to my previous monitoring system... 😞
Hyperic does an excellent job of supporting most apps out-of-the-box but the rest is a bit on the slim side when compared to zenoss' class-based object oriented approach..

Message was edited by: VoodooZ
0 Kudos