VMware Cloud Community
noah10_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

auto-discovery failure in 4.0

I recently installed 4.0 (brand new installation; no prior installation of hyperic anywhere) and while 5 out of 6 agent installs went find the 6th refuses to show up in the resources "browse" list or in the auto-discovered platform list in the dashboard.

I've tried running hq-agent setup on the problem platform, but to no avail. The system seems to know something about it, though, because if I go to the "New Platform" page its IP address appears in the "Agent Connection" drop-down menu. (I can't actually add it using the New Platform page, however, because it's a Linux box and therefore its platform type doesn't appear in the "Platform Type" pulldown.)

I tried deleting the relevant entries from EAM_AIQ_IP, EAM_AIQ_SERVER and EAM_AIQ_PLATFORM and then re-running hq-agent setup, but that had no affect. I also tried stopping the agent, deleting the agent data directory and restarting the agent, but that also didn't help. The agent log claims that it successfully sent auto-discovery information to the server and the server log says that it received it but then notes:

Found preexisting agent during agent registration. Updating agent information for 192.168.122.171:2144; new transport=false; unidirectional=false

What can I do to get the platform to show up in the Dashboard?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

are you using the private network address 192.168.122.171 for another host in your network too ?
If so try to use another port instead of default port 2144.

hth,
Mirko
0 Kudos
noah10_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

No, I shouldn't be using that IP for another host at all. I suspect that message is because of a failure to delete all references to it on my part. Is there a recipe for deleting all of the pre-existing references to a platform?

I'll try another port and see if that helps. I assume that all I have to do is specify a separate port when I run hq-agent.sh setup?
0 Kudos
noah10_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately changing the port didn't change anything - the server log still says that it's updating an existing platform and the platform still doesn't show up in the dashboard auto-discovery portlet.
0 Kudos