VMware Cloud Community
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your plugin devoplment web page shows a command to test a plugins metric

The command to see if metrics in a plugin can collect data is:

java -jar <Agent Directory>/pdk/lib/hq-product.jar -Dplugins.include=yourPluginName -m metric

Do I replace the word metric for specific metric names in the plugin..

I run it as is but it never outputs and metric info .. I dont get any error ??
0 Kudos
67 Replies
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I believe it is .. I will however attach the one IM currently using and if you would like to pretty it up and use it in Spring source or somewhere thats OK with me..

I just need to get the hyperic server name that is reaching out to the Cisco box for fans status, power supply etc out of the views in Hyperic as stated in my previous question .

Under .Deployed Servers Health: are fan status,inlet temperatures status Power supply status.If I click on any of them ,the Group members menu pops up with the individual fans or power supplies etc .The problem is that they all are headed like this:

xxxx.it.anl.gov
INLET TEMPERATURE STATUS module 2 inlet temperature
xxxx.it.anl.gov
POWER SUPPLY STATUS Power Supply 1, WS-CAC-6000W

Where xxxx is the Hyperic server name which is misleading .. People viewing it think these fans.power supplies are on the hyperic server NOT the Cisco box (which is where they really are).
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

I think I know the why its happening just going to take a bit to show you how to fix it. Might be Monday by the time I get to it.
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks for you great help.. Appreciate it.. You have really helped .. You should be commended
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have any time to explain the problem about the hopst hyperic server name appearing in cisco box fan,powersupply etc .

Would like to finish this off to show network guys etc
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will you have time to help me finalize by plugin and put it on the production hypertic server ..

About a month ago I sent this :

I just need to get the Hyperic server name that is reaching out to the Cisco box for fans status, power supply etc out of the views in Hyperic as stated in my previous question .

Under .Deployed Servers Health: are fan status,inlet temperatures status Power supply status.If I click on any of them ,the Group members menu pops up with the individual fans or power supplies etc .The problem is that they all are headed like this:

xxxx.it.anl.gov
INLET TEMPERATURE STATUS module 2 inlet temperature
xxxx.it.anl.gov
POWER SUPPLY STATUS Power Supply 1, WS-CAC-6000W

Where xxxx is the Hyperic server name which is misleading .. People viewing it think these fans.power supplies are on the hyperic server NOT the Cisco box (which is where they really are).
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay it's been a busy last couple of weeks. I looked at the plugin and the issue I was suspect of isn't the case.

Does the platform that you added for the device show the correct name?
0 Kudos
hypermike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure what your asking , but in the Plugin I create a platform called CISCO Environment status

That show up as :

Platforms > CISCO Environment status > monitor fans

Under monitor fans are the 3 servers we defined in the plugin :

fan status
inlet temperature status
power supply status

Under these are the group members that display the individual fans, or power supplies or inlet temps:
Each member is headed by my hyperic server name which is misleading.. It should either not be there or it should show the name of the cisco device ??

see previous example in question to you
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Mike,

What I am asking is in the Inventory inside of Hyperic how did you create the platform?

The plugin defines a platform and then has child servers. The description you are giving is that the platform was defined as being the local HQ server and that is why it is putting that in the name.

Auto discovered names will have "<platform name> <server/service type>" for the format. Since your <platform name> is wrong it makes me wonder what you have named the platform.

If you want could you attach (or email me) a screenshot of your platform in inventory?
0 Kudos