VMware Cloud Community
dsanchez_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

XenServer Plugin - How Many Host Will It Support?

First of all thanks for providing this capability into Hyperic as we have been wanting this ability for a long time.

Can anyone tell me if this plugin only works on the "Master" server host or can I monitor all of my XenServers individually?

Thanks again,

Dave
0 Kudos
6 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can manage all your hosts and guests with a single HQ deployment - as long as the agents are not blocked by firewalls. For more information and best practices on deploying Hyperic HQ for XenServer check out tomorrow's free webinar.

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/999023087
0 Kudos
dsanchez_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the directions for the plugin and can see the Xen host and all the VMs associated with that host. If I add another server using the "New Platform" option and setup a second Xen host it never discovers the server or any of the VM's. It does not even show the availability metric. Thank you for any help you can offer. I really like the information I am seeing on the one Xen host that is working.

David
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you look in the agent.log file for the HQ agent that you are using to connect to your Xen hosts, you may notice a line that contains the following:

"com.xensource.xenapi.Types$BadServerResponse [HOST_IS_SLAVE..."

In order to collect information on hosts in a configured pool, you have to modify the platform's Configuratoin Properties, connecting to the Xen master node's API URL, and specifying the platform.uuid that corresponds to the Xen slave host. This should allow the collection of host metrics to begin for your slave.

A problem has just been identified where the VMs on the slave may not be auto-discovered correctly for the Xen pool slave. If you could attempt this configuration, and report back on your experience, it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
dsanchez_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much!!! Your suggestion worked and I am able to see all of my servers and all of their vm's.

To answer your question about vm's that are missing it appears the only VM that is not showing up is a new server that does not have the Xen Tools installed yet. One of my team members must not have installed them yet. I think that can be seen as expected behavior since Hyperic relies on the xen api and it can not see the server properly without the tools.

Thanks again!

David
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great to hear, and you are welcome. We've updated the documentation to reflect this procedure for configuration of pooled Xen Servers.
0 Kudos
dsanchez_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

I have one more question: When looking at the chart view from the resources page the MASTER server is reporting an incorrect CPU utilization. It states changes from 250% up to 350% utilization. If you click on the resource and look at it from the level it is reporting correctly. All of my SLAVE servers are reporting correctly from the chart view and at the resource level.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

David
0 Kudos