VMware Cloud Community
eitan_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Websphere MQ V6.0 plugin

Hi,
I'm trying to use the websphere_mq-plugin and getting the following exception

2008-12-17 13:31:08,812 ERROR [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Critical error running agent
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.hyperic.hq.plugin.wsmq.MQSeriesProductPlugin.getProperty(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.wsmq.MQSeriesProductPlugin.getClassPath(Unknown Source)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPluginJar(ProductPluginManager.java:975)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPluginJar(ProductPluginManager.java:741)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPlugins(ProductPluginManager.java:829)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.startPluginManagers(AgentDaemon.java:682)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:827)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon.java:925)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
2008-12-17 13:31:08,828 DEBUG [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Notifying that agent startup failed
2008-12-17 13:31:08,859 INFO [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Agent shut down
2008-12-17 13:31:08,859 ERROR [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Agent startup error:
org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentStartException: Critical shutdown
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:861)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon.java:925)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am running agent 4.0.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
49 Replies
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's the corresponding 1.6 output...
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

findservices() behaves differently based on which java is being used.
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry... it is taking me a while to set this up. Too many Virtual Machines and not enough real ones today.

BJ
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rats... tried the most recent plugin you sent and it bombs immediately using either java. Classpath problem. No .mqjbnd in java.library.path ... does this in either java... which is either something new for debugging or something I need to fix. Going back one version.
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No.. that was a user error... it doesn't bomb... it runs but there are some additional debugging outputs.

Here is the 1.6 java result.
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the built-in java result. This is pretty much the same stuff as before. I am going back to installing my non-jre agent.

Thanks
BJ
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I expected, when run with the no_jre variant of the agent, and using the 1.6.0_11 JRE the Websphere_MQ works.

This took me so long because I am tasked with making sure things run on Windows as well as Linux and I had to put things on Windows VMs.

This does not get Hyperic off the hook (I am not calling Eitan to get this marked as answered).

The darned thing should work with its own Java and the dependency is too weird to be believed.

Noting that the no_jre version installs on Windows-Server-2003 with no small difficulty owing to the insistence of MS in showering us with the benefits of having spaces in directory names. A golden shower if there was ever one.

respectfully
BJ
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Astonish me! It autodiscovered the queue manager. In other words, it worked WELL. I have to try it with a standalone 1.5.0_xx JRE now.

respectfully
BJ
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The results using a standalone 1.5.0_11 JDK in a no-jre agent were pretty good. It did not autodiscover the queue manager properly but it DID work, Tried twice, and the agent appears to miss it (the manager) completely, but it does know that there is a Websphere MQ 6 there to be had. After configuring the queue manager manually it autodiscovered the attached queues and appears to be quite happy. In any case, there were none of the exceptions coming through the logs that occurred with the embedded JRE. That gives me some assurance that this process can work on a 1.5 JDK in AIX.

The problem we saw with the embedded jdk in the agent may possibly be unique to Windows as there were numerous areas in which the configuration was sensitive to pathname variations, and it does not appear to be an issue for most people. I have exhausted MY resources to check further into this area.

respectfully
BJ
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the end it did discover the queue manager. It just doesn't seem to do so by clicking on "new autodiscovery" in the UI. Seems to take a long time. I have to look at the timing longer to work out what turns it on.

Now I have to try to work out the answer to the question "how does the plugin get the NAME of this manager back to the UI". All I have ever seen returned are numbers. What magic happens in the MQ-Discovery jar files?

How does the UI get the name(s). I have code that gets the names. How do I get the names to the UI.

respectfully
BJ
0 Kudos