VMware Cloud Community
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Web Page Checks

Hey, guys

I have been using HQ for the last 7 months, and I am really happy with this application so far.

At this point, my boss asked me to monitor the availability of a specific web application they are running. I do not have any kind of access to the server itself, and I cannot write a plug-in to test if the application is running properly. This left me with the only solution of having a kind of check that would allow me to test of the URL is reachable. This kind of check would be the perfect solution.
I know that a possible solution would be importing a check_http from nagios. I have a server running and have configured the specific check, but still I do not want to just import the check on a production HQ server. Is there any other way to test the availability of a web page ? I can talk to the web-developers, and get to implement any html changes necessary for my monitoring service.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think what you are looking for is to do an HTTP service check. Here are the rough steps to configure a HTTP service check:

1. Choose a platform to perform the check from
2. Click on the 'Tools' menu in the upper right hand corner of the platform indicator view
3. Select 'New Platform Service'
4. Choose service type as 'HTTP'
5. From there, enter in a URL under domain: www.example.com or IP address
6. If applicable, select SSL enabled, basic HTTP authentication or a pattern to match.

The check will allow you to log into a web URL with basic HTTP authentication and verify that a specific pattern exists on the page, this can be a static text string or a regular expression.
0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a bunch for the answer.

I actually wrote my own Oracle Type Service , and have used Process Services, and Script services, but never paid attention to the http Service.

Thanks a lot again.
0 Kudos