VMware Cloud Community
tsorgie
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0

We're currently using Hyperic 2.7.6 in our production environment (happily i might add), and i want to test out the upgrade to 3.0. However i cannot find a document that describes the correct 2.7 -> 3.0 upgrade process for your whole environment.

Do you start by disabling every agent, then upgrade the server first, then each agent? Is it a problem if a 2.7 agent tries to connect to the 3.0 server, will that cause issues?

From what i gather the correct process for any single platform is just to run the 3.0 installer with the -upgrade flag, but even that is only mentioned in passing in the release notes - and there its about beta -> beta upgrades.

Your site says that 3.0 is GA, but at the same time the amount of information in the install guide for upgrades seems to be lacking. It seems that the latest 3.0 build is one of the first to support 2.7 -> 3.0 upgrades, is it just that the process needs to be ironed out a little more before a document is put together -- or am i just looking in the wrong place?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You are correct, the 3.0.0 GA is the first to support upgrades from 2.7. The database model went through some changes during the 3.0 development which made it difficult to support upgrades during the beta process.

The upgrade from 2.7 to 3.0 is similar to the other upgrades. On the HQ server use the -upgrade flag to the installer and follow the instructions. This process will install a 3.0 server and migrate your database to the new format. The upgrade will keep your existing 2.7.6 server in-tact in case you need to roll back to the 2.7 version for any reason.

As for the agents, they are compatible between 2.7 and 3.0, so there is no immediate need to upgrade when you upgrade the server. Of course the 3.0 agents include many bug fixes and plugin updates, so you'll want to eventually upgrade your agents as well.
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for calling us on that. I am sure you are not alone in your confusion over the upgrade process.

I have updated the documentation in the 3.0 Release Notes to include 2.7.x to 3.0.0-GA upgrade instructions. Check them out here:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOC/Release+Notes

In short, you do not need to worry about disabling agents. 2.7.x agents will continue to report metrics to a 3.0.0 server, so you can upgrade the agents as time permits following the server upgrade.

If the updated documentation still falls short, please let us know where things remain unclear, and I will make sure we take corrective action.

Thank you.
gena_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for updating the instructions.

It would be good for you to also add that the HQ Database servicer service should be shut-down as well.

Looking at the instructions, since it didn't specifically say to shut it down, but it did say to shut-down HQ Server -- I figured that the upgrade may need the db server for something. I did get an error from the setup process about the db port being used and realized that it in fact does need to be shut down too. 🙂
0 Kudos