VMware Cloud Community
heikki_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Updated build requirements and instructions?

I have successfully run (server and agent launched, was able to login and click around in the web UI) Hyperic 3.2.3 on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 with Sun Java 1.6, JBoss Application Server 4.2.2 and PostgreSQL 8.3.1.

However, I seem to be having difficulties with current trunk. The instructions at http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Build+Instructions list the following:

Java Development Kit: Sun JDK 1.4.2
Apache Ant: 1.7.x
JBoss: 4.0.3 SP1
Database: PostgreSQL 8.2.x

Trying with JBoss 4.2.2, "ant all" failed almost immediately. I downgraded to 4.0.3 SP1, and it seems like build now at least finishes without errors. Is this exact JBoss version really required, or could, say 4.0.5 be used? Are there any plans on supporting later JBoss versions?

Is JDK 1.4.2 required, or could the latest 1.6 be used instead? Is PostgreSQL 8.2 needed, or can later ones be used?

I still seem to have problems starting the server successfully. I modified the log4j conf file to to get past exception during startup, but the web UI still does not come up, although the agent starts happily and can apparently connect to port 7080. Any ideas what I should be looking at next?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

JBoss 4.0.3 SP1 is required. Upgrading to a later version of JBoss is not as straight-forward as you might think.

Java 1.6 and PostgreSQL 8.3.1 should both work just fine. If you got past the log error and the web UI is still not coming up, you might want to check the server.log to see if there are any errors during startup.

Charles
heikki_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I would have updated the build page, but I don't seem to be able to.

Looking at the logs, I seem to be running into the dreaded "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" problem. This happens both with Ubuntu sun-java6 package as well as "jdk-6u6-linux-x64" that I downloaded and installed from Sun.
0 Kudos
heikki_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Heh, well, the PermGen problem turned out to actually be easy to work around by adding " -XX:MaxPermSize=256m" to JAVA_OPTS.

I also forgot to mention earlier that the build failed with out of memory error unless I set ANT_OPTS to "-Xmx768M -XX:MaxPermSize=128m".
0 Kudos