VMware Cloud Community
vince_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Update quickstart docs

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying out this software and found a couple of glaring holes in the quickstart documents when running the software on linux. Specificaly Red Hat Enterprise 4.

1) You need to state how to set the JAVA_HOME enviroment variable in the /etc/profile file so that everytime you reboot the server can start without errors. Also I had to download my own JRE due to not being able to find the one that was supposed to be included with the linux download.

You can set this by adding the following to your /etc/profile file:
JAVA_HOME="/path/to/your/jre"
export JAVA_HOME

2) You also need to state that if your using the bundled database that you MUST open port 9432 for postgres along with the 7080,7443 ports for the server and agent. Not opening the database port will cause the server to crash.

Just giving some feedback and to help out anyone else with these problems.

- Vince
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vince_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Just a short update to my post.

I located the bundled jre finaly. Its actualy in the agent. I was looking in the server directory. So if you set your JAVA_HOME to the following (where /path/to/hyperic_agent is where you chose to install it) it should work without having to install another jre.

/path/to/hyperic_agent/agent-2.7.3/jre/

- Vince
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Setting JAVA_HOME should not be necessary if you are using one of our platform specific installers. Like you mention, those packages will install a jre directory for the server, agent and shell in the top-level installation directory.

The startup scripts for HQ determine whether or not the jre has been included and will use it if it's available. I'm guessing there may be a problem with the hq-agent.sh script on RHEL 4.

If you want to give us some debugging info, we can look into it to see if there is a problem. It would be helpful if you could edit your hq-agent.sh and add the line 'set -x' right above the AGENTPROPFILE_PROP=.. line. Save the file and rerun the agent startup script without JAVA_HOME set. If you could attach the output from that command it would be really helpful.

Thanks Vince,
-Ryan
0 Kudos
vince_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Sorry I should of been more clear. Using the full installer (agent, shell , server) I had the problem with JAVA_HOME not being defined when trying to run the server only. After installing both the agent and server on the same machinge the agent ran fine but the server would give me the JAVA_HOME error.

I also have been installing the agent only package with the bundled JRE on other systems and it is working fine.

Would you like me to give you debug info for the server script? If so do I use the same flag as the agent script?

Thanks for the help!
- Vince
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Vince,

If you could give us the debug info for the server script that would be helpful. The process is the same, just add set -x as the first command in the script, then re-run with your JAVA_HOME not set.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
PaulPeterson
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same problem, the full hyperic server package comes with the jre-free agent, the platform specific agents must be downloaded seperatly. I deploy on RHEL, and would love to see pre-made agent packages myself (for a local yum repository).
0 Kudos