VMware Cloud Community
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unique names for JMX Services

This question was posted before but hidden in the thread "Register with JNDI." The question was never answer, so I’m trying again. We run multiple JMX applications. The thread "Register with JNDI" describes how to have each application autodiscovered. The autodiscovery works great. The problem is that each service has the same name. I would like to make the names unique, preferably with the port number. The host server has a name – platform.name Sun JVM 1.5 % port. I would like something similar.

The name for autoinventory is
<property name="AUTOINVENTORY_NAME"
value="%platform.name% FOO %name%"/>

I would like something like
value="%platform.name% FOO %name% @ %port%"/>
Or
value="%platform.name% FOO %name% %server.name%/>

I have done some experimentation without success. Is there a way to make each unique?

Thanks
Bob
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bob,

If your host server is named 'platform.name Sun JVM 1.5 @ port', then you can use the %serverName% variable (rather than server.name) to substitute that value.  This is actually the default if you leave out the AUTOINVENTORY_NAME property:

%serverName% %name% ServiceTypeName

On May 3, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Bob Crothers wrote:

This question was posted before but hidden in the thread "Register with JNDI." The question was never answer, so I?m trying again. We run multiple JMX applications. The thread "Register with JNDI" describes how to have each application autodiscovered. The autodiscovery works great. The problem is that each service has the same name. I would like to make the names unique, preferably with the port number. The host server has a name ? platform.name Sun JVM 1.5 % port. I would like something similar.

The name for autoinventory is
value="%platform.name% FOO %name%"/>

I would like something like
value="%platform.name% FOO %name% @ %port%"/>
Or
value="%platform.name% FOO %name% %server.name%/>

I have done some experimentation without success. Is there a way to make each unique?

Thanks
Bob

0 Kudos
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Doug,

I just tried out %serverName%. Looks good!

Thank You,
Bob
0 Kudos