VMware Cloud Community
leog21
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to register agent: Error communicating with agent: Unauthorized

I'm running hyperic 4.0.1 server (on OS Version: 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 ) and agent, on the server where it is installed, I'm able to get the agent to connect fine, but any other devices gives me a problem:

-- Received temporary auth token from agent
-- Registering agent with Q
-- Unable to register agent: Error communicating with agent: Unauthorized

The agent communication works fine when it tests the connection with the server.

I have searched all the threads but can not find any info to help resolve this.
This occurs on our CentOS and Ubuntu Linux installs.

Thanks,
Leo
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Leo,

Sorry you're having problems. Sound like the tokens related to authentication stored on server side and agent side don't match. The agent is succeeding in reaching server. Failure occurs when the server is connecting back to the agent's port 2144.

If you delete an agent's /data directory, and then start it up, that will force the agent to requery you for connection setup details. That might solve your problem. If it doesn't, will you please let me know?
0 Kudos
leog21
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you sir, everything works now.
0 Kudos
bjchip_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to help with completeness, if you have (for other reasons) placed the agent host in the hosts table of the server or identified it to itself in its own /etc/hosts, you may need to alter the *default* for the agent communications IP address to match the hosts table entry rather than 127.0.1.1.

That is what allowed me to make it work on an ubuntu-8.10 server which had those alterations both in the server and the agent host tables.

My guess is that if you are using /etc/hosts the old-fashioned way, to resolve destinations without DNS, then you will encounter this.

respectfully
BJ
0 Kudos