VMware Cloud Community
Arpoksay
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to monitor Disk I/O and Network interface statistic on Solaris.

Hi All.
I've decided to test Hyperic HQ, in order to understand if i can use it for the needs of our company. I created separated solaris-zone for this. Installed Server and Agent on this zone.
Here are the problems i have for now.
First:
I've added new service to monitor my root partition's size and I/O.
The problem is that i am unable to any Throughput metrics(ex. Disk Read Bytes per Minute, Disk Write Bytes, Disk Queue, etc.), but I've successfully added all metrics for Utilization.
It seams that Hyperic tries to identify devise name by mount point, in order to make iostat, but as you know there aren't devise name for /(root) in solaris zones.
Is there any solution to this?

Second questions is about Network interface. Then i want to specify my network interface which is iprb0:2, i receive the following error "The configuration has not been set for this resource due to : Invalid configuration: Error retrieving value: Failed to invoke getNetInterfaceStat[iprb0:2]: No such device or address: iprb0:2"

Sorry for my not so good English, I hope I'll receive an answer.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Greetings,

I seem to recall that we've had some success working with Solaris zones, but I'll try to verify if there's something you need to do in order for it to work.

-John Mark
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi arpo,

about your second question: I think this is a common problem and nothing special to Solaris or Solaris Zones. Hyperic or SIGAR doesn't know about alias network interfaces.

Mirko
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

re: question #1 - what does 'df' produce? How do you track your partitions?

re: question #2 - no, we specifically disregard aliased net devices. Is there a reason you can't specify iprb0?

-John Mark
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there,

I was able to confirm that this is due to SIGAR, our system metrics library, not having added support for Solaris Zones yet.

I can tell you it's on our radar, but I unfortunately have no ETA. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

-John Mark
Arpoksay
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try to install Agent on some not virtual machine, and give you a feed back.

Regarding interface:
In solaris zones all interfaces are aliases of primary network interface, but for this particular zone it is primary...

Regarding df:
(IMHO) I assume that the problem is that there is no entry for "/" in mntab. Here is the output of mount command:
/ on / read/write/setuid/devices/exec...
As you see there is no physical devise specified. Here is the output of global zone:
/ on /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 read/write/set....
May be hyperic looks for physical device name to collect I/O statistics.(IMHO)
0 Kudos