VMware Cloud Community
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to import platform error

Hello,

I started up the 3.1.0 HQ agent (the version with the included JRE) on a RedHat Linux 9 server and then ran the autodiscovery process from the Server console. It discovered the new server as it should, but when I clicked the "Add to Inventory" button, I received an error (see below).

Unable to import platform : RuntimeException; nested exception is: org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: javax.ejb.TransactionRolledbackLocalException: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'FileServer' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Network Host'; CausedByException is: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'FileServer' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Network Host'

Why is this happening?

Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
john_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think there may be a little misunderstanding here. When you say you "ran the autodiscovery process", what exactly does that mean? You should not have to do anything other than start the agent on the platform, then bring up your HQ Dashboard. The platform will appear in the auto-inventory queue and you can then import the platform and all its discovered resources. That platform type sounds like it should be "Solaris" and not "Network Host". The fact that HQ thinks it is a Network Host, leads me to believe you tried to create a platform manually instead of using the discovered platform created when the agent starts up.

Try these steps:
1. stop the agent on the affected platform.
2. remove any platform resource associated to this from the HQ inventory
3. remove the 'data' directory from the HQ Agent installation
4. start the HQ Agent (you will need to supply the server connection information again)
5. log in to HQ as the super-user and look in the auto-inventory portlet of your dashboard. The platform should appear there.
6. select the platform and click the button to import it in to your HQ inventory

That should work, if not reply and I'll work with you to get your server.log and agent.log and troubleshoot further.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interestingly, I just tried importing another new server (platform) from autodiscovery, and I received a similar, but not exactly the same, error message.

Unable to import platform : RuntimeException; nested exception is: org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: javax.ejb.TransactionRolledbackLocalException: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'ProcessServer' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Network Host'; CausedByException is: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'ProcessServer' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Network Host'
0 Kudos
john_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think there may be a little misunderstanding here. When you say you "ran the autodiscovery process", what exactly does that mean? You should not have to do anything other than start the agent on the platform, then bring up your HQ Dashboard. The platform will appear in the auto-inventory queue and you can then import the platform and all its discovered resources. That platform type sounds like it should be "Solaris" and not "Network Host". The fact that HQ thinks it is a Network Host, leads me to believe you tried to create a platform manually instead of using the discovered platform created when the agent starts up.

Try these steps:
1. stop the agent on the affected platform.
2. remove any platform resource associated to this from the HQ inventory
3. remove the 'data' directory from the HQ Agent installation
4. start the HQ Agent (you will need to supply the server connection information again)
5. log in to HQ as the super-user and look in the auto-inventory portlet of your dashboard. The platform should appear there.
6. select the platform and click the button to import it in to your HQ inventory

That should work, if not reply and I'll work with you to get your server.log and agent.log and troubleshoot further.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are absolutely correct. I was doing this wrong. Your instructions were perfect. My problem is now solved.

Thanks!
0 Kudos