VMware Cloud Community
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to recognize my JBoss 4.2 JMS server

I recently installed JBoss version 4.2 on one of my servers. Hyperic didn't automatically recognize it, so I made new service, and it seemed to almost recognize it. Hyperic found the following:

JBoss 4.0 JCA Connection Pool
JBoss 4.0 messaging DefaultDS JCA Data Source

...but it didn't seem to find all the JMS topics, which I'd like to monitor much in the same way the hyperic jboss JMS server is monitored.

Note: if I go to the JBoss server jmx-console (http://host:8080/jmx-console/), I can see the the management console and things look hunky-dory. Hyperic found it via the configuration:

java.naming.provider.url jnp://localhost:1099

I am a total JBoss n00b, and really was just able to get the server running in hopes of replacing my current very flaky JMS server.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear 'em. BTW- running 3.0.4 for the server and the agent on RedHat.

Thanks!

DPF
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey DPF,

Looks like 4.2.0 just went GA less than a month ago, we'll likely need to adjust the plugin to support 4.2.0.

The plugin's JMS Topic service looks for MBeans with the following ObjectName pattern:
jboss.mq.destination:service=Topic,*

Do you see any in the /jmx-console if you enter that pattern in the "ObjectName Filter"?

Similar for JMS Destination:
jboss.mq.destination:service=Queue,*
0 Kudos
DreadPirateFlin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, its a pretty new release. Looks like the topics are listed under:

jboss.messaging.destination
name=myPublishingTopic,service=Topic

...looks like they changed the name of everything again. 😞

Is there any way to adjust the plugin from my end? Thanks for the feedback! Would a simple plugin be able to get me down into there? Again, as I said, I'm kinda a jboss ejb3 n00b. 😞

Thanks!

DPF
0 Kudos
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not surprised, the ObjectNames change often between JBoss releases. I opened a ticket to add support: http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-931
We'll need to add a new resource type that uses the new ObjectNames, etc., I'll do my best to get that done soon.
0 Kudos
zlq_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. We're using mule-hq-2.7.5.
Can I just get the new Jboss-plugin.jar and put in the mule-hq-2.7.5? will it work?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
m0thr4
Contributor
Contributor

Am I missing something here? Surely you get jboss.mq.destination if you're using JBoss MQ and jboss.messaging.destination if you're using JBoss Messaging? I'm using JBoss ESB, and so our ESB-related queues are under jboss.esb.destination.
0 Kudos