VMware Cloud Community
djinn_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Template feature like nagios, zenoss, zabbix ?

Hi,

I saw several people asking this question on the forum but I don't see any good answers.

Is it possible in hyperic to have template made from the GUI or if not from a conf file?

Here is my example, let's say I have a grid or a farm of webserver that I would like to monitor.They all run the same software.

What I would like to do is to use one of them as a template (servers, services, alerts, threshold, control...) and then apply this template to all of them.

Is somebody using hyperic in this type of environment ? how do you manage it ?

For hyperic guys, what's the pricing scheme for grid ?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The short answer is "no". This has been requested before, and perhaps a future version of HQ might have it.
0 Kudos
djinn_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

But before going to the next phase of testing with hyperic, I need to know if this feature is in the roadmap and when it will be available (months, years...) ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there,

We have this type of feature in the Enterprise Extensions that you get with a subscription. You can download an EE trial and see if it provides what you need, although we limit the number of managed devices to 3. We do not, however, limit the available features in the trial, so you get a full picture of what's included in the software.

We are discussing the possibility of including this type of feature in future open source releases. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, please mention that in the product roadmap forum.

Oh, and welcome to Hyperic!
John Mark
Community Manager
0 Kudos
djinn_fr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcoming.
I think hyperic is a great product. If the community grows, it could be a fantastic one. But I understand that's your job, so good luck 😉

I downloaded and installed the EE and I didn't see the difference for template and group alerting. Please, can you teach me where to look at.

I am understanding your price scheme, especially for the alerting intelligence, but template should be in the OS version. As I said before, it's by default in Nagios, Zenoss and Zabbix.
So if you want to get people moving to Hyperic, you should have this feature in the OS version.

You didn't get me any details about pricing for farm or grid. Can you give me a clue, if there is a potential bargain price for that ?

Thanks

Message was edited by: djinn_fr
0 Kudos
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For the differences on the EE product, you would go to 'Administration' and then 'Monitoring Defaults'. From this page you can set the defaults at a global level for both monitoring and alerting. The specific metrics you want to collect for each piece of technology, the intervals to collect them at, the default alerts that should exist. You can also do this with a compatible group that you create by navigating to the alerts tab or the metric intervals tab.
0 Kudos