vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Syslog monitoring

Posted Oct 24, 2006 04:16 PM
    We are currently evaluating Hyperic HQ and would to know if it provides the ability to monitor syslogs? I've seen another post regarding this back in July but there were no responses?

• 2.  RE: Syslog monitoring

Posted Oct 24, 2006 04:30 PM
    According to:

http://www.hyperic.com/downloads/

This is a feature of the Enterprise version (along with other nifty things).

Hyperic does deserve a solid swat on the knuckles for making this information entirely too difficult to find. A product comparison matrix should not be buried on the download page - it should be prominently displayed and referenced in the Products area.

• 3.  RE: Syslog monitoring

Posted Oct 24, 2006 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the quick response Brad. I will have to look further into the Enterprise version.

• 4.  RE: Syslog monitoring

Posted Oct 24, 2006 04:50 PM
    Ouch! Boy to my knuckles hurt ;)

You're right, and we're fixing that. It was only recently that the downloads pages were revamped with this info, and we've now turned our attention to our product pages. We'll include a similar matrix there as well.

-JM

• 5.  RE: Syslog monitoring

Posted Oct 28, 2006 07:50 PM
    Just a little FYI - be careful about monitoring logs. If you have logs that have LOTS of data ( > 100MB day) make sure you put in a regex at the PLATFORM level so that you don't

1) Stream your entire log back to HQ for processing
    2) Have the platform do the intinal regex and relieve HQ server of additional CPU strain.

I accidently was sending GBs of logs to our HQ server and it just about keeled over.