NilC
Contributor
Contributor

Support for multiple vSphere vCenter instances

Jump to solution
I have installed the Hyperic 4.4 Enterprise (4.4.0-EE build #1509 - Jul 28, 2010 - Release Build) demo from the website to test support for monitoring VMware vSphere 4.0.

I installed a Win32 agent on the W2003 server that is hosting the vSphere vCenter 4.0U2 server and configured it. Once the resources were configured, I edited the VMware vCenter resource to add a valid user/password and after a short while the ESXi host servers and VMs showed up in the Browse/HQ vSphere screen. That all works fine.

I then tried to add a different vCenter server with it's own ESXi host servers (with a new agent installed on this server's W2003 ) and that's where the problem starts. After I add the userid/password in the vCenter Inventory details, the new ESXi hosts and VM start to show up under "Recently Added". When I switch to the Browse/HQ vSphere screen the original vCenter has gone and a mixture of the other vCenter's host servers and it's own host servers appear under the newly added vCenter.

Should I be able to monitor 2 different vCenter servers?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Multiple vcenter instances are supported. When you are configuring the resource, make sure to use the IP of the box instead of the default loopback address. When HQ sees multiple vcenters all with 127.0.0.1 in the SDK URL it gets confused. Configuring it by IP should resolve the issue you are seeing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Multiple vcenter instances are supported. When you are configuring the resource, make sure to use the IP of the box instead of the default loopback address. When HQ sees multiple vcenters all with 127.0.0.1 in the SDK URL it gets confused. Configuring it by IP should resolve the issue you are seeing.
0 Kudos
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Thanks Ama,

It certainly looks a lot more stable now after adding 2 vCenters using their IPs.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Neil.
0 Kudos
NilC
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks Ama,

It certainly looks a lot more stable now after adding 2 vCenters using their IPs.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Neil.
0 Kudos