VMware Cloud Community
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor

Sun JVM 1.5 Plugin problems

I am working with support on this issue - but I wanted to appeal to the community as well in case any users have a above average understanding of monitoring via jmx.

Below is a description of my issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.

1. Go to the platform that contains the JVMs
2. From “Tools” I select “New Server”
3. I name the server
4. Select Sun JVM 1.5
5. Input the Install Path
6. Click OK
7. I am brought to the General Properties section to finish up the configuration
8. Update the jmx.url as required
9. Remove the user “system” (we don’t use authentication)
10. Click OK
11. Error received: “The configuration has not been set for this resource due to : Invalid configuration: Error retrieving value: ObjectName not found [java.lang:type=Threading]: javax.management.InstanceNotFoundException: java.lang:type=Threading is not registered.”

At this point the JVM is not being monitored – although the auto-discovery of Garbage Collectors is 100% accurate (ie. it identified the correct Garbage Collectors, but is not gathering metrics for them).

Now the work-around I found……

1. Launch jconsole.exe
2. Connect to the JVM using the same jmi.url as I use with Hyperic
3. Jconsole connects properly and starts pulling metrics.
4. Shutdown jconsole
5. Go back into Hyperic
6. Edit the Sun JVM 1.5 server properties
7. Make no changes
8. Click OK
9. Go to each service individually and do the same thing (simply click edit – make no changes – save)

While the work around works it is taking a tremendous amount of time to set up JVM monitoring.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is an option to automate discovery of the Sun JVM server types (steps 1..10). The short-story is add the following property to agent.properties (or ~/.hq/agent.properties):
jmx.sun.discover=true

More details here:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Advanced+JMX+Plugins

This isn't the default behavior only because of the potential to end up with duplicate resources from the built-in plugin types.

As for the issue with the Threading MBean, your case is the first I've seen behave this way. Happy to help get to the bottom of that through the support channel or here 🙂
0 Kudos