VMware Cloud Community
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Schedule alerts for downtimes

Hi, guys

We have been running Hyperic for about a year at the place I work and we have been pretty happy with its performance. It turned out to be a very nice tool for our internal use, and my boss is now willing to open if for all other departments to see. There is one little problem we need to solve though, and it is having alerts when updating our servers. We monitor about 200 systems, and it is hard to follow up on all the updates happening. Sometimes I forget to manually disable the alerts, and then my boss calls me at 2 at night to ask why one of the servers is "red". We are looking for a way to schedule disabling of alerts for specific clients at specific times of the month, since we already have a schedule for all downtimes.

I have found a plug-in HQU Platform Alert Manager, but it does not seem to be the most reliable plug-in ever. I am not saying it is bad, but it is simply a little different than the conventional plug-ins the HQ community is using.

Does anybody know a way to accomplish my goal? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

t1h0m1r,

You can turn off monitoring by platform by going into the resource metric data tab, checking the resource/platform you're upgrading, and "disable collection". When you're finished, change the collection interval from "0" back to the correct interval when the upgrade is complete.

Or by alert, you can go into your alert tab, check the alert you want to pause while you upgrade, change Set Active from "yes" to "no". Perform the upgrade, then set it back to yes.

--jeremy
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is also the 'nolert' plugin in our HQU forge which can
accomplish something similar, but across your entire inventory.

It's also worth noting that 4.0 has alert maintenance windows.

-- Jon

On Aug 21, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Jeremy Hogan wrote:

> t1h0m1r,
>
> You can turn off monitoring by platform by going into the resource
> metric data tab, checking the resource/platform you're upgrading,
> and "disable collection". When you're finished, change the
> collection interval from "0" back to the correct interval when the
> upgrade is complete.
>
> Or by alert, you can go into your alert tab, check the alert you
> want to pause while you upgrade, change Set Active from "yes" to
> "no". Perform the upgrade, then set it back to yes.
>
> --jeremy

0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess we can try and use the nolert plugin for now. Even though it is going to disable all alerts for this server, it is a solution. I will try and get the HQY Platform Alert Manager to work and hopefully it does.
0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, Jon

I just installed a development 4.0 server and was wondering where exactly the alert maintenance windows are. I would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe it will be in the administration tab. That said, 4.0 isn't in beta yet - although we are working to get it there in the next few weeks. Sorry - but we aren't ready to provide the docs and followup on it quite yet.
0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

This is exactly what we are looking for, a way to disable metric collection for the machines. The only thing is that we want it to be automated, cause we have two groups with about 100 machines in each and every Friday night we push an update, so we would like Hyperic to disable metric collection for all machines on Friday nights for certain times. Do you, by any chance, know about the existence of such a plugin?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

did you check the noalert plugin on the http://www/.hquplugins.org?
0 Kudos