VMware Cloud Community
angel4x07
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP Trap problem on Hyperic 4.5

I have a problem and i call it like:
1. [AgentDaemon] Agent startup failed:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiver.shutdown(SNMPTrapReceiver.java:96)

2. 2011-03-11 03:07:28,531 ERROR [Thread-0] [ProductPluginManager] registerPlugin=Network Device
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.init(SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.java:68)

Can somebody explain why these( http://support.hyperic.com/display/EVO/Configuring+HQ+as+an+SNMP+Trap+Receiver and http://support.hyperic.com/display/EVO/snmpTrapReceiver.listenAddress) doesn't work?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

which port did you choose for the SNMP trap listener ? Did you check if another process is already listening on the same UDP port ? You could try to change the port just for testing purposes and see if the Agent starts up.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
angel4x07
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

>which port did you choose for the SNMP trap listener ?
I'm using two of them (162 and 1620) on different agents to test.

>Did you check if another process is already listening on the same UDP port ?
Yes. No servers on these ports.

>You could try to change the port just for testing purposes and see if the Agent starts up.
I try to do (port 1661 in this case) this few times and i got the same error:

2011-03-14 02:14:22,687 ERROR [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Agent startup failed:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiver.shutdown(SNMPTrapReceiver.java:96)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.NetworkDeviceProductPlugin.shutdown(NetworkDeviceProductPlugin.java:33)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginManager.shutdown(PluginManager.java:89)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.shutdown(ProductPluginManager.java:431)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.cleanup(AgentDaemon.java:365)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:879)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon.java:930)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

then ...

2011-03-14 02:14:22,687 INFO [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Attempting to rollback agent bundle
2011-03-14 02:14:22,687 INFO [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Rollback of agent bundle was successful
2011-03-14 02:14:22,687 INFO [Thread-0] [AgentDaemon] Restarting JVM...

and in finish:
2011-03-14 02:16:25,296 ERROR [Thread-0] [ProductPluginManager] registerPlugin=Network Device
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.init(SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.java:68)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginManager.registerPlugin(PluginManager.java:363)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: Cannot bind
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos
soeschen_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

is there any finding / solution to this problem ?

I have maybe a smiliar problem.

2011-05-18 09:34:13,154 DEBUG [Thread-1] [SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin] Configuring default listener: udp:0.0.0.0/1620
2011-05-18 09:34:13,173 DEBUG [Thread-1] [SNMPTrapReceiver] snmpTrapReceiver.listenAddress=udp:0.0.0.0/1620

log pages later 🙂 -- 1 secound

2011-05-18 09:34:14,318 DEBUG [Thread-1] [SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin] Configuring default listener: udp:0.0.0.0/1620
2011-05-18 09:34:14,318 DEBUG [Thread-1] [SNMPTrapReceiver] snmpTrapReceiver.listenAddress=udp:0.0.0.0/1620
2011-05-18 09:34:14,319 ERROR [Thread-1] [ProductPluginManager] registerPlugin=Network Device
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Address already in use
at org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginManager.registerPlugin(PluginManager.java:363)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerTypePlugin(ProductPluginManager.java:596)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.addPluginTypes(ProductPluginManager.java:1004)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPluginJar(ProductPluginManager.java:955)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPluginJar(ProductPluginManager.java:662)
at org.hyperic.hq.product.ProductPluginManager.registerPlugins(ProductPluginManager.java:752)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.startPluginManagers(AgentDaemon.java:690)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:832)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon.java:930)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
at org.snmp4j.transport.DefaultUdpTransportMapping.<init>(DefaultUdpTransportMapping.java:99)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiver.init(SNMPTrapReceiver.java:178)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiver.getInstance(SNMPTrapReceiver.java:81)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.getReceiver(SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.java:43)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.netdevice.SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.init(SNMPTrapReceiverPlugin.java:66)
0 Kudos
Varxela
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. Have you find the solution?

Thanks
0 Kudos
feschuck
Contributor
Contributor

Well now i am faced exatly the same problem.
No one got a solution?

Edit:
Really strange, if I am sending a snmp trap to the specific port. That trap will be logged by the Platform where the agent is installed.

Shouldn't that trap be logged on the "network device" i have created and configured?

Message was edited by: feschuck
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is caused by a conflict with the netapp plugin. If you do not use the netapp plugin on this agent you can exclude it by adding "plugins.excludes=netapp" in the conf/agent.properties and restarting the agent.
0 Kudos