VMware Cloud Community
vikyvik71
Contributor
Contributor

SNMP/SSH Plugin

Hi there everybody, first post here. First of all, thanks for the great job you've done and doing! I am writing you to ask if it's possible to mix up a plugin with two different protocols. In other words my network element (a SIP proxy) exposes both snmp and ssh scripting interfaces for metric collections, how can I handle these on a single platform? Any suggestion appreciated, thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jvalkeal_hyperi

What do you mean by 'ssh scripting interface'?

HQ is able to check if port responds to ssh(is able to log-in). You cannot run commands through ssh if that was something you meant. However, both ssh and snmp are just services what hq can use. It is possible to combine these using custom plug-in. It's just like one metric is using snmp and other is using ssh checks.
0 Kudos
vikyvik71
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thanks for the answer. By "ssh scripting interface" I mean I did set up a custom plugin to gather metrics on the device through scripts. On the other side I have an snmp plugin for the same platform. I was wondering if I can mix them, this would help in having just one platform type and not 2.
I've tried to do it but no luck. Tomorrow I'll post them if it can help.
Thanks
0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

Are you actually trying combine snmp and script plugins? But yeah, more detailed example would tell more about you situation...
0 Kudos
vikyvik71
Contributor
Contributor

Here they are, thanks for help.
0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

hq-plugin.xml looks so simple, that have you just tried to move server section to other plugin? Don't really know if that is something what you are trying to do.

You seem to know how to create custom plugins, which is good 🙂 Do you have any spesific reason why you haven't succeed to combine these two plugins?
0 Kudos
vikyvik71
Contributor
Contributor

I had a few problems, now i've made progress and the integration works fine, 1 platform type with snmp metrics, 1 server and both kind of services (scripts/snmp). So I guess the answer to my first question is yes 🙂 the bad news is that sometimes the netdevice NetworkDeviceDetector fails to create the server and thus services dont show up on the ui. Any known issue on this problem?
Thanks again
0 Kudos