VMware Cloud Community
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Run Hyperic EE on VM?

Hello there!

I am not a stranger to this forum. My past username was gnovak but I can't get into that account now. So I made a new one.

I've been using Hyperic for about 7 months now. I have a new project with a company to deploy Hyperic for their enterprise environment. They are considering going with the EE version of Hyperic, but I have a question.

The company want to know if they can run the Hyperic server on a VM. I don't advise it as I think a stand alone server is better, but I am curious if anyone else has done this or if it is possible. Comments?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Standalone server is definitely better. However, it's not out of the
question to run the HQ server in a VM. Performance is obviously a big
concern, however, we would probably recommend running a standalone
database server somewhere where performance can be guaranteed. Other
than that, we have found VMs to have significant time drifts, which
would cause a problem with accuracy and display. As long as you can
do something to make sure the server is properly NTP time sync'ed
constantly, then you should be ok. We already distribute the HQ
server in a VM image for people to try out HQ. Hope this helps.

Charles

0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

Where can you get this image? We were going to just try installing it first on a VM using an external oracle database to see how it goes, but I'm curious about this image you speak of. And thanks for all of your advice. I'll pass it on to the team here and see what they think.
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Go to the Hyperic download page
http://www.hyperic.com/downloads/dl-hq-oss.html
and scroll down to the item "Hyperic HQ VMware Appliance".
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

We have the regular server installed as of now on the VM.

This appliance software sounds more like something to used to monitor virtual servers and all of the virtual machines running on that server. We don't want to do that. We want to run the server on a VM.

Also from the link posted you only get 2 agents to choose from: windows and linux? Well we have solaris machines here and other flavors so how is that going to work?

"HQ VMware comes with a single Agent ? you have your choice of a Windows EE Agent and a Linux(X86) EE Agent ? for monitoring the local host. Agents must be installed on any other systems you wish to monitor."

In the above paragraph, are they saying that you can only install agents on vm's running linux and windows or are they saying that the agent you install on the SERVER can only be linux or windows? (which pretty much means that if you install hyperic on a virtual machine it has to Linux or Windows) Does that sound right?

Is this vm appliance software to be put on a machine running the virtual server software to monitor all the vm's? If that is the case i'm not sure if this is for us.

Message was edited by: gnovak768

Added additional info:

Message was edited by: gnovak768
0 Kudos
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The appliance is a Vmware image running debian, the HQ server and a HQ agent. It was created so that users could download a running instance of HQ to see what it is capable of doing without having to install it themselves.

Much of the agents functionality comes from the plugins that are packaged with them. This means that there are different agents for windows/linux/solaris, but not different agents to handle things like vmware.
techwritermeg
Contributor
Contributor

For a little more information, you can look at this help page in the wiki:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOC/HQ+VMware+Instructions
0 Kudos