VMware Cloud Community
chandra_thadi
Contributor
Contributor

Retrieve Data from the Hyperic HQ in built database

Hi,

How to create a database in HQ and how to retrieve the data from the database.

Regards
Chandra
0 Kudos
5 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm unclear on what you are asking exactly.

HQ uses a database to house all its information. By default, the database used is a PostgreSQL database built-in to the standard installation. Stand-alone PostgreSQL and Oracle databases (for instance, on a remote box) can also be used for larger installations. Queries can be run against the database to pull interesting information out for specific purposes.

Perhaps a better, and more specific answer can be provided if you can detail exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
0 Kudos
chandra_thadi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Im new to the Hyperic HQ tool. I installed the HQ server and HQ Agent in my local machine. Im able to monitor all the platforms and services of my machine. HQ uses in built database to store all the monitored data.

HQ uses the database postgresql in the 'C:\Program Files\server-2.6.31\hqdb\bin' folder. What I need is that should I install postgresql database externally and create database for it and to configure from HQ or without installing the postgresql database we can do. How can i retrieve the data from the database. Can you plz explain clear abt the database concept in HQ i.e, how data is stored in database and how can I retrieve the data from it.

Regards
Chandra
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can install HQ to use your own external Postgres database. You will need to give a '-postgresql' option flag when invoking setup. See the following page:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/Full+Installation+Guide

You will have to make some changes to your postgresql.conf to prepare it for HQ. See instructions at:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ27/Database+Preparation.

I'm not sure what details you are looking for here for how HQ stores data. It uses over 80 database tables to store the relevant data required for the application. Essentially the application object model is modeled in the database tables. The exception is the metric data tables, which store the metric values collected by the agents and reported/charted in the application.
0 Kudos
mw_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Chandra,

Although I am not entirely sure what you are asking, I think a possible solution is installing phpPGAdmin which is a web-based PostegreSQL database administration tool. From reading your posts, it sounds as though you are not familar with postgres and need a way to simply query the database. Since I am also new to postgres, I installed phpPGAdmin which has been very helpful in retrieving data from the database and developing a greater understanding of the inner workings of Hyperic. I hope this helps.

http://www.phppgadmin.com/

Michael
0 Kudos
Bob_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am new to Hyperic but with some experience with PostgreSQL. My question is our current installation of Hyperic 5.0.3 is using built-in postgres, can I change it to use an external postres and keep all the configuration and monitoring information? Or I have to re-install Hyperic, and restore database?

Thanks.

Bob
0 Kudos