VMware Cloud Community
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Restarting a process automatically?

Hello,
I have 5 production servers and recently ran into a lot of trouble with Symantec Antivirus. SAV keeps dying on a couple of the machines and I was wondering if someone could run me through how to set up a command that automatically starts the service when the availability alert fires until I can resove my Symantec issue with the manufacturer?

1. rtvscan.exe process dies on target server, alert is triggered in Hyperic and I am notified by email. Hyperic is working great and doing it's job but my server is unprotected until I see the email.
2. I would like Hyperic to issue a command that starts rtvscan.exe as soon as the alert fires. Or, if needed, maybe issue a kill command first to be sure it's actually stopped, then 1 min later issue a start command.

I looked at the command tab and none of the options really made sense to me except KILL. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Josh,

While you can certainly create any type of script and attach them to HQ to run control actions, the open source product does not support automatic control actions. These must be user initiated in the open source software.

If this is a big requirement - you may want to check out the enterprise version. To see what else you can do with that version we created a 9 minute "Enterprise Advantage" demo that can be found on the main website here: http://www.hyperic.com/demo/index.html. It's played in chapters, so you can pick and choose what you are interested in - and it may help you to decide if its worth trying that out.

HTH,
-Stacey

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ahriakin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From what I understand alert responses are only activated in the Enterprise Edition (you didn't mention which you were using). You could set the response to activate a batch file, presuming Windows it would be something like:
NET STOP (ServiceName)
NET START (ServiceName)
jjondle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using the free version. Will what you suggest work with that? Do I do that from the command tab of the process or do I do it from the escalation scheme or something?

Assuming you can do it with the free version, how do you have an alert activate a batch file? I can figure out the contents of the batch file no problem, but how do you get Hyperic to activate it?

Thanks,

Josh
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Josh,

While you can certainly create any type of script and attach them to HQ to run control actions, the open source product does not support automatic control actions. These must be user initiated in the open source software.

If this is a big requirement - you may want to check out the enterprise version. To see what else you can do with that version we created a 9 minute "Enterprise Advantage" demo that can be found on the main website here: http://www.hyperic.com/demo/index.html. It's played in chapters, so you can pick and choose what you are interested in - and it may help you to decide if its worth trying that out.

HTH,
-Stacey
0 Kudos