VMware Cloud Community
rrparkerr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restart server -- email settings issue

Another nub question here. My time is spread thin over here so hopefully once I can get some real time with this program, I can stop spamming this board with idiotic questions 😉

When changing the server email settings to use the local mailserver, I restarted the HQ server service to save the changes. But the alerts still are not sending.

Do I have to restart the agent on each of the other machines as well? I'm using a local mailserver's IP for the "Base URL." Is that correct? The mailserver itself is already in use with an environment monitor sending alerts for the temperature in our server room. So it really seems like it should work... if the "Base URL" is the correct place to put it. I'm not entirely sure, to be honest.

Is there a log of some kind where I can see what happens when my test alerts fire? Or do you think I should just move past this and set up the SMTP in the hq-server.conf file? I saw that in the documentation and am wondering if that would be easier at this point.

Thanks for your help.

R
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The mail settings are configured in conf/hq-server.conf for basic SMTP. The UI does not have a place to configure the mail server. If you need smtp auth there is additional files that need to be edited.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The mail settings are configured in conf/hq-server.conf for basic SMTP. The UI does not have a place to configure the mail server. If you need smtp auth there is additional files that need to be edited.
0 Kudos
rrparkerr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey wschlichter,

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it!

R
0 Kudos
rrparkerr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey everybody.

I'm sorry for the personal bump, but I'm still having trouble with the alerts.

Is there any sort of log that documents what happens when an alert fires? I located some daily log files in the server installation directory but they don't seem to be of any use. There is also a 2.5mb server.log file which I haven't been able to inspect due to time.

Can anyone tell me if the server.log file documents alert response actions? If not, has anyone been able to find it elsewhere?

Thank you,

R
0 Kudos
rrparkerr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just went through server.log and located this listing from an alert that fired off this morning.

"
2010-12-03 08:10:57,725 ERROR [pool-2-thread-1] [org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.server.session.EmailManagerImpl@154] Error sending email: [HQ] !!! - [SERVERNAME] CPU Usage [servername] Win32 CPU 1 (2493Mhz Intel Xeon)
"

This is the only reference to the mail alerts I could find in the log.

The local mailserver is specified by computer name in the server.config file and relay has already been set up on the mailserver itself. The same settings are in use on the mailserver to route alerts from an environmental monitor (temperature sensor) set up in our server room. So I have a feeling it's something misfiring in HQ. Does anyone know what I should be looking for?

As an aside, it looks like server.log only contains the log information from the current day. I'll start backing it up starting today to see if I can find any other information on this.

Thanks,

R
0 Kudos