VMware Cloud Community
stsanford
Contributor
Contributor

Relay Agents

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been covered, but after doing a search I didn't come up with a solution.

I'm using Hyperic right now to monitor servers at remote locations. No problem, I have setup port forwarding on the remote site to forward ports to the server that I'm monitoring there, however I'm starting to see that I would like to monitor PCs and other hosts at these remote sites. Port forwarding unique ports to each of these hosts will load up the rules of our routers, so before I delve into that, I was wondering if there's an easy way to setup a "relay" that would collect alerts and inventories from all the hosts at the site and just repeat that info up to our main hyperic server. Possible?

TIA,
STS
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Niek_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Anything is possible, but this needs a rework of the HQ infrastructure.

In the mean time, the only feasible way (if plain routing is not possible) is to set up a VPN. There are multiple VPN solutions available. A fairly popular one is OpenVPN, which builds a tunnel over UDP. That way you only have to open up the one UDP port. Then set up appropriate network routes to force clients to push traffic destined for the HQ server into the VPN host at their site, and vice versa for your HQ server going back.

Niek.
0 Kudos