VMware Cloud Community
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Register with JNDI

Hi,

We are thinking about registering all our JMX programs with JNDI, so they will be auto discovered similar to jboss, would this work? If JBoss goes down, then all the programs would appear to be down, even if they were still working, is this correct?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bob,

I know it's been a long time, but we didn't forget about your scenario.  Having your JMX programs register with JNDI won't help unless there's a plugin looking to find it there.  IIRC, you have 10+ standalone Java server programs and the port used for JMX remote monitoring may change.  In 3.0.2 we added the ability to use the JMX local connector and in 3.0.3, the ability to auto-discovery Sun JVM server types using local connectors.

I just wrote up some docs on these two features, hopefully they'll help you out:

Let us know either way, we'll get a solution in place if this doesn't do the trick.

On Mar 22, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Bob Crothers wrote:

Hi,

We are thinking about registering all our JMX programs with JNDI, so they will be auto discovered similar to jboss, would this work? If JBoss goes down, then all the programs would appear to be down, even if they were still working, is this correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BC_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doug, this is great!

I ran 6 test JMX programs, each on a different port. HQ auto-discovered the JVM servers and our services. All the metrics are displayed without ANY configuration for our programs. This is terrific.

All the services have the same name, the plugin looks like
<property name="AUTOINVENTORY_NAME"
value="%platform.name% FOO %name%"/>

Is there a way to put the port number into the service name? The JVM has @ port in the name. Could I do something like

<property name="AUTOINVENTORY_NAME"
value="%platform.name% FOO %name% @ %port%"/>

Thank You Very Much
Bob
0 Kudos