VMware Cloud Community
mjmcleod_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

Receiving SNMP traps

I have a need to receive SNMP traps from random devices, some of which are not amenable to being added as a network platform because they can't be queried via SNMP. Or if they can, they simply don't have the OIDs HQ wants to check for when adding the new platform.

One example of such a device is the Sun iLOM on their x86 machines. IPMI isn't a suitable tool as they aren't all running Solaris and the contrib. IPMI plugin appears to be meant for use with the local host -- we use some as VMware ESXi hosts, for example, where we can't really run a HQ agent. We need to receive traps from these as there doesn't appear to be any other way of being alerted to hardware failure.

(There are other devices with similar issues on our network, receiving traps is a one-size-fits-all fix that works for us.)

At the moment we're using What's Up Gold, and that seems happy receiving traps from devices without needing to be able to do more than ping them.

Other than this we're pretty impressed with HQ, but if I can't solve this with HQ then my bosses aren't going to be willing to go with it.

Matt
0 Kudos
3 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

why don't you poll Suns iLOM via SNMP. Afaik they are SNMP capable and there is a Plugin on Hyperforge for monitoring iLOM.
Hyperic HQ can receive SNMP traps. The setup is being described here:
http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Configuring+HQ+as+an+SNMP+Trap+Receiver

hth,
Mirko
0 Kudos
mjmcleod_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried the plugin, it doesn't work for the couple of machines I tried -- an X4600 M2 and an X4100 M2. In both cases I get:

Invalid request: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.1.1.2.9.1.1.4.2: noSuchObject

I also noticed that the configuration screen for a "Sun X64" platform using this plugin doesn't provide the option to enable log tracking.
0 Kudos
mjmcleod_hyperi
Contributor
Contributor

I eventually figured this out for myself: the newer Sun gear is using a completely different set of MIBs. Once I found the necessary OIDs I was able to make a new plugin to grab that data, and added the log_tracker plugin type to it so I can receive traps and alert on them.

Of course it looks like every model -- and possibly every iLOM version or host! -- will have these at different points in the MIB. Is there perhaps any way to do lookups within SNMP tables so I can just specify a key to find the right index -- for example, "1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.70.101.1.1.8.1.4.x" will have the text value "/SYS/MB/T_AMB0", knowing "x" points to the correct OID for the ambient temperature sensor, so if I could somehow tell HQ to do that lookup on each host rather than having to do it by hand and create a unique plugin each variant then that would be fantastic.
0 Kudos