VMware Cloud Community
enkrypt3d
Contributor
Contributor

RPM installation failed dependancy check on Redhat 5.3 x64...

[root@hostname ~]# rpm -ivh hyperic-hq-installer-4.1.3-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
expect is needed by hyperic-hq-installer-4.1.3-1.i386
[root@hostname ~]#

I have tried installing both x64 and 32bit installers and get this same error message...

and if I do --nodeps which will skip the dependency check, the installation does not complete successfully...

Whats going on here?

I am running this on a Dell 2950 with 16GB of ram and 2 intel quad core CPU's...

I would rather not use the tar ball as I would rather maintain the ability to remove this software without having to reprovision this host. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
enkrypt3d
Contributor
Contributor

Seems the wording is a bit misleading... I installed "expect" and the installation has completed successfully...

what a strange name for a package...
0 Kudos
jasonchaffee_hy
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same error. I installed expect by compiling the source and I can run expect without any issues. However, the hyperic-hq rpm fails saying it requires expect.
0 Kudos
enterprisetoday
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I don't have redhat 5.3, nor x64, but it's likely you'll have to perform the following to install:

# yum search expect
expect.i386 : A program-script interaction and testing utility
and then

# yum install expect
Installing: expect i386 5.43.0-5.1 base 158 k
Is this ok [y/N]: n

That should give you the required dependency to install the agent. Installing an expect tarball is not suitable because the agent installation is checking the rpm database, which will not have the details of your source compile.
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you've compiled expect from source already, use of the --nodeps flag installing the HQ RPM would end in success.
0 Kudos