VMware Cloud Community
konjcx
Contributor
Contributor

Quality of older data

Hello all,

I have a question I've been trying to find the answer to in the documentation without success. Hopefully someone can shine some light on the subject here.

When looking at graphs (in this specific case, the "Fileserver mount" graph under "Services" [for a specific system]) -- I notice that the older the data I choose to look at, the lower the quality of it seems to be. It seems that I have much fewer polling intervals available to look at.

I understand that this probably has to do with consolidation of data to avoid the database growing too large - but how is the "consolidation" of data done? Is data from individual data-polls simply removed or is some "averaging" done? (like you typically do with RRDtool).

I'm running HQ version 4.0.3.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
konjcx
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

I found this:

http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Managing+Data+Compression+and+Purge+Behavior

"HQ stores monitoring data using a tiered model to reduce the amount of data that is stored and still provide the necessary granularity to determine when monitoring data changes. By default HQ will keep detailed metric data as defined by the metric collection intervals for a period of 2 days. After 2 days the data will be compressed and archived into hourly averages with highs and lows. HQ only supports keeping detailed data for a period up to 7 days."

....So, after 2 days, we have hourly averages with highs and lows, but what exactly do we have after 7 days?
0 Kudos
iugav
Contributor
Contributor

i was also looking for this information, but didn't find anything. anybody?
0 Kudos