VMware Cloud Community
heikki_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Problems caused by Apache Axis2

A machine I had been monitoring without a problem had Apache Axis2 installed on it. After that I was unable to get the Hyperic agent working properly. The agent would occasionally die, the server UI would report that it was unable to connect to the agent on the default port, running the agent setup would fail claiming it could not connect and so on. The agent log also showed stack traces that mentioned RMI had connection errors. I tried changing from the default agent listen port to another port, but this had no effect. I used the binary Linux agent package that contains everything needed to run the agent.

I also noticed that when running the agent setup, trying to change the agent port from 2144 to something else apparently gave wrong instructions. The agent.properties file listed agent.listenPort which seemed to do the trick, though.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Heikki,

thanks for your report.
Did the new port reassignment resolve your problem ?
Maybe you can attach the output of the agent.log to the thread for further problem resolution ?

Mirko
0 Kudos
heikki_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

New port did not help. I got things to work by shutting down Axis2, starting the Hyperic agent, then starting Axis2 again. Now I can shut down and restart the agent without problem, which seems strange. Unfortunately I lost the log from the failed attempts, but if I start seeing this again I'll get it.

The current log contains these errors, but things still seem to work:

2008-11-18 14:06:09,309 ERROR [Thread-2] [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Unexpected erro
r running autodiscoverer for plugin: Tomcat 5.5: Unable to get MBean info: Incor
rect response from monitored server
org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Unable to get MBean info: Incorrect resp
onse from monitored server
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.servlet.ServletDiscoveryPlugin.getMBeanInfo(Ser
vletDiscoveryPlugin.java:111)
at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.servlet.Tomcat55RuntimeADPlugin.discoverResourc
es(Tomcat55RuntimeADPlugin.java:76)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRun
timeScan_internal(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:272)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRun
timeScan(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:205)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java
:165)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:
41)
at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)

2008-11-18 14:07:42,651 WARN [Thread-0] [CommandListener] Error invoking method
org.hyperic.hq.agent.AgentRemoteException: Failed to unschedule metrics for enti
ty 2:10052: No measurement schedule for: 2:10052
at org.hyperic.hq.measurement.agent.server.MeasurementCommandsService.un
scheduleMeasurements(MeasurementCommandsService.java:388)
at org.hyperic.hq.measurement.agent.server.MeasurementCommandsServer.dis
patchCommand(MeasurementCommandsServer.java:161)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.CommandDispatcher.processRequest(CommandD
ispatcher.java:112)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.CommandListener.listenLoop(CommandListene
r.java:191)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:843)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon
.java:925)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Heikki,

looks like the error occurs when the Agent tries to autodiscover Tomcat instances on your platform. I don't know the architecture of Axis2 but it seems to be similiar to Tomcat but maybe Axis2 architecture is similiar to Tomcat's architecture.
If you're not running Tomcat on that platform, try to disable the Tomcat plugin by adding the following line to your agent.properties and restart your Agent:

Plugins.exclude=tomcat

Mirko
0 Kudos