VMware Cloud Community
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle plug-in spawning "ps"

Hey, guys

I have been using Hyperic for more than 8 months, and I am very satisfied with this product. I wrote a number of plug-ins on my own, and find Hyperic to be one of the best monitoring tools on the market right now.

At this point, I have an Oracle plug-in implemented on a number of servers, and everything seemed fine. Until last night, things went in the wrong direction. The way we are running Oracle, processes die, and new ones are spawned every time it is necessary. This causes a spawning of a "ps -ww PID" process, which does not die along with the process. This causes Hyperic to completely hog the machine and in the end make it impossible to run properly. We thought of a way to keep the Oracle process "alive", and not cause this issue, but that would be impossible for our environment. I tried to see if I can find the exact "ps" definition in the source code, but was not successful.

I would appreciate it if someone knows how to solve the issue. Or at least tell me which java source file defines this action.

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

you've written some plugins ? Feel free to publish them on HyperForge 😉
Maybe other users are interested in your plugins.
Did you use the built-in Oracle plugin or something you've developed on your own ?

It's implemented in SIGAR and the ps-command is defined here:
./src/os/solaris/solaris_sigar.c

You can checkout the latest sourcecode as described here:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/SIGAR/Home#Home-download

Mirko
0 Kudos
t1h0m1r
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Mirko

I think this was enough to give me the right direction. I guess I will find and play with the SIGAR code some more.

As far as the plug-ins I have wrote. It is some Oracle plug-ins, and a plug-ins for a couple of tools we use at work. I am not sure if they would be useful to users, but I will still post them.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
0 Kudos