VMware Cloud Community
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oracle Monitoring

Hello,

I read in the documentation:

Oracle monitoring is done through reading the system catalog. This is done using standard SQL queries which the plugin passes into Oracle via JDBC. In order to access the catalog for reading, an account needs to be created, or designated with the following privileges: [...]

I am having a hard time find information on how this is done in the context of an agent installation on Oracle 10g server.

I see the oracle-plugin.jar in the ../pdk/plugins directory but am at a loss where to configure the JDBC connector, username and password.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The autodiscovery of Oracle databases uses the process table to find any running Oracle instances. It's possible the user you are using the run the HQ Agent does not have access to that information. The ability to read the process table varies depending on what OS you are using.

To work around, you can always create the Oracle server by hand, then configure it using Brad's instructions.

To create the server, navigate to the platform that is running oracle and click 'New Server' from the Tools menu on the upper right hand corner.

-Ryan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BradFelmey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

View the Oracle instance (which HQ should have already found). Click on the "Inventory" tab, then toward the bottom, click on "Configuration Properties". You now have a nice "Edit" button to enter your JDBC connect string.
0 Kudos
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the prompt response.

The agent didn't find the oracle instance. Upon auto-discovery all that was found was i) NTP4.x and ii) HQ Agent

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The autodiscovery of Oracle databases uses the process table to find any running Oracle instances. It's possible the user you are using the run the HQ Agent does not have access to that information. The ability to read the process table varies depending on what OS you are using.

To work around, you can always create the Oracle server by hand, then configure it using Brad's instructions.

To create the server, navigate to the platform that is running oracle and click 'New Server' from the Tools menu on the upper right hand corner.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Manually adding the Oracle server worked without a problem.

Thank you for taking the time to lend a hand (figuratively speaking of course).

Greatly appreciated.

P.S. The user the agent is running as did have access to the process table. I will keep an eye out for information regarding this

Message was edited by: jkstraw
0 Kudos
yogesh_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to monitor oracle a user in a any oracle dictionary need to be created using the sql plus of the oracle..

CREATE USER ${jdbcUser} IDENTIFIED BY MYPASSWORD;
GRANT CONNECT TO ${jdbcUser};
GRANT SELECT ANY DICTIONARY TO ${jdbcUser};
This can only be done in sql if you have logged on as a privilaged used iof oracle database like SYS,SYSTEM or SCOTT...

then the configuration properties in hyperic can be configured to autodiscover oracle database instance.
0 Kudos