VMware Cloud Community
marta_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Oracle Application Server

Hi,

Is anyone successfully monitoring Oracle Application Server using Hyperic HQ ? It looks like most every other major application server is included. I saw a post from February that looked like several people were contemplating writing a plug-in but no updates since then.

Any help greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Support for OAS is still a work in progress. There is an open Jira ticket for it if you want to track the progress. http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-778

In particular, what components of OAS are you looking to monitor?
marta_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

To start with we would like to monitor a subset of the information that is available from the Enterprise Manager console, such as a list of the instances (infrastructure, midtier(s)) and the oracle home for each instance, as well as the components deployed on each instance (http server, oid, j2ee applications) and optionally their cpu and memory usage.

We are also learning the HQ architecture and have deployed a very simple oas plug-in based on the oracle database server plug-in. So far all it does is check for the existence of the app server using the /etc/oratab home directories and the presence of a j2ee sub-directory. One question that we have regarding this is that our oas plug-in tests out ok using the command-line "-m discover" switch, but since we're new to HQ we're not sure how to have HQ invoke the runtime auto-discovery on it's own so the oas server is added to the list available in the dashboard. Any help on configuring this would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
marta_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

We seem to have corrected the oas auto-discovery problem. There was a method named getServerList( ) that ended up to be eliminating the app server directories as valid servers because it was still looking for some of the oracle database server paths. The app server now shows in the auto-discovery portlet. We will review the progress being made on the official plug-in, but will probably continue to experiment with our test version to become more familiar with HQ.
0 Kudos
jbaptiste_hyper
Contributor
Contributor

Hi marta,

Have you made any progress with your plugin development ? I'm very interested in helping in having this OAS plugin working. Let me know if you need any help with testing, coding, etc.
0 Kudos
fin51
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone developed a plugin for OAS. I too would like to have this plugin.
0 Kudos