VMware Cloud Community
skaffman
Contributor
Contributor

Obscure SSL errors from 4.2.0 agent

I'm evaluating HypericHQ 4.2, and have installed the server one one linux box and the agent on another. Both are installed and communicating OK.

However, the agent's log file is rapidly filling up with SSL-related exceptions:

2009-11-18 11:50:52,050 ERROR [Thread-0] [CommandListener] Failed handling new connection
org.hyperic.hq.agent.AgentConnectionException: Error negotiating auth: Remote host closed connection during handshake
at org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.agent.server.SSLConnectionListener.handleNewConn(SSLConnectionListener.java:95)
at org.hyperic.hq.bizapp.agent.server.SSLConnectionListener.getNewConnection(SSLConnectionListener.java:163)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.CommandListener.listenLoop(CommandListener.java:157)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon.start(AgentDaemon.java:844)
at org.hyperic.hq.agent.server.AgentDaemon$RunnableAgent.run(AgentDaemon.java:926)

There's no indication of what it is that it's trying to connect to. I'm getting one of these every few seconds.

Judging by the stack trace, it looks like something else is trying to connect to the agent, but is the resetting the connection. Is this a fair interpretation? Is there any logging I can enable which will give me more information as to what is doing this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It can be safely ignored if the agent is working ok...sounds like it is. It appears that something is connecting to the agent port 2144 not using SSL. This is most likely not the server...like maybe you have a tcp socket check on that port or something similar. You can verify this quickly by checking the server.log. If there are corresponding errors in the server.log then it is the server failing to connect to this agent for some reason. If not, it is some outside process.
0 Kudos
ebailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are using something like Opennms which has a Hyperic agent monitoring plugin you will see this error. It is safe to ignore the error.

Ed
0 Kudos