VMware Cloud Community
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No HQ "server" for JVM 1.6

Hello,

When looking at my Platform inventory, I only see the possibility to add a new service of type "Sun JVM 1.5" and no option to choose "Sun JVM 1.6". Does Hyperic support monitoring Sun Java JVM 1.6? If so, how should I configure my Platform so that I can see the Java monitoring information?

Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Props to Dougm for the answer here - but the JMX in the 1.5 JVM and the 1.6 JVM which we depend on is exactly the same. Hence there is no difference in how you enable 1.5 vs 1.6 - they can be used exactly the same. Doug also adds that it should be backwards compatible from 1.5 on, although 1.4 likely doesn't work the same.

More info on the plugin is here:

http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/Sun+JVM+1.5+server

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We are moving to the 1.6 JVM in 4.0, but I am guessing this is 3.2.5?
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is actually 3.2.4, but that isn't what I was asking about.

I don't mean the JVM that Hyperic HQ uses, I am talking about monitoring a JVM with Hyperic. When looking at a particular platform, you can define a Service, and that Service has a Type. That type is a drop down list and can be a whole bunch of different things, including "Sun JVM 1.5". How do I monitor JVM 1.6 instead of 1.5?
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You'd need the plugin from 4.0, hence why I asked.

I'll need to do some research to see if its backward compatible. Right now its in the distro for 4.0 Beta, but isn't posted on the HyperFORGE until it goes GA in a few weeks.
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Props to Dougm for the answer here - but the JMX in the 1.5 JVM and the 1.6 JVM which we depend on is exactly the same. Hence there is no difference in how you enable 1.5 vs 1.6 - they can be used exactly the same. Doug also adds that it should be backwards compatible from 1.5 on, although 1.4 likely doesn't work the same.

More info on the plugin is here:

http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/Sun+JVM+1.5+server
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Stacey/Doug.

I have successfully setup monitoring of my Sun 1.6 JVM instance. However, I do suggest you do something with the naming of this "Server" in Hyperic, as even though I am monitoring a 1.6 JVM, the name of the "Server" is "Sun 1.5 JVM". That could easily cause some confusion.

Thanks again,
Brian
0 Kudos