VMware Cloud Community
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nice Article on Custom Plugins in Java

Someone took the time to write up an excellent blog post on creating auto-discoverable plugins in Java for HQ:

http://blogs.citytechinc.com/roller/jschwartz/entry/1

This is a really great effort, and I wanted to call everyone's attention to it.

-John Mark
0 Kudos
5 Replies
frwilliam
Contributor
Contributor

Great tutorial! It worked well on a Linux platform. I also want to create a java plugin on a Windows platform. I changed the platforms to "Win32" in the hq-plugin.xml file, started the agent, the new "MyAutoDiscoverServer" resources appeared in the Auto-Discovery panel as expected. However, trying to add them to the inventory resulted in this error. Is there anything else I need to set for a Windows platform?

Unable to import platform : RuntimeException; nested exception is: org.hyperic.hq.common.SystemException: javax.ejb.TransactionRolledbackLocalException: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'MyAutoDiscoverServer 0.1c' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Win32'; CausedByException is: Error creating platform from AI data: Servers of type 'MyAutoDiscoverServer 0.1c' cannot be created on platforms of type 'Win32'
0 Kudos
jschwartz73
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comments on my blog posting. I'm not sure what is going on
with your error, but I have a few suggestions.

1) Make sure you are deploying the plugin to both the agent and the server.
2) Remove the linux instance of your plugin from the hyperic server by deleting it from inventory.
3) Remember, if you aren't deploying the plugin to the hot-deploy folder, you will need to restart the hyperic server in order to see the changes.

If these fail, try changing the version number of your plugin to "0.1d", then re-deploy to both the server and the agent.

Lastly, don't forget to restart the agent after making any changes to the plugin.

Hope that helps. Feel free to email me if you have additional questions.
0 Kudos
gnovak
Contributor
Contributor

does anyone have this blog saved? Can someone repost it here in the forum? The link provided doesn't work and I get a 404 error. This topic came up today with my co workers and I'd love to read the blog and get some input on this!

I sent a private message to jschwartz to see if he still has it around!

Message was edited by: gnovak768
0 Kudos
Leander
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
roger_symonds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Frederick,

I've set this up on Windows by changing the platform to "Win32", and also changing the version number of your plugin to "0.1d".

Another thing to check is that you are building the plugin with the correct version of Java, as this will also give you errors.

Regards,
Roger
0 Kudos