VMware Cloud Community
nibb
Contributor
Contributor

New to Hyperic

Im new to Hyperic. I have basically Nagios and other things running but i wanted to give it a try. Since i really need to collect metrics and stats data to be able to see when an issue starts before it actually impacts a performance on a server.

So, i installed the HQ server on a VPS for testing it. I did it on a OpenVZ enviroment. Everything went fine and i logged to HQ. Everything seems fine. I did installed the agent as well but did not started since there is no point on monitoring the local VPS where HQ runs.

So i went to another server to install the agent. Its a Red Hel 5 64 bit system. I tried to run the rpm and it failed, it said something about jre or something similar missing. The server do has tomcat and java on it. So i just went and installed the normal linux agent platform indepent. I installed all fine. I configured and installed. On the HQ server it detected it right away but no metrics.

So then i moved the whole folder containing the agent to better place where i want to keep an eye on it like /usr/agent and rename it to "hyperic-agent"

I dont think that broke anything since i suppose the agent runs inside the folder. So i started the agent again from this new place. It seems the HQ Server detects the server.

On the HQ server data shows like memory, cpu etc. But no metrics and no data is displayed. Just in case i let it run for 40 minutes and no data. Not a single metric shows. A little pissed i went in the config of this server, and in the apache server health i configured the data like the HQ server request. Still no data. The server is there but no data is shown. In the Avail status the only services that show with green icons and fine are "HQ Agent 3.2.3", "FileServer Mount", SSH, Linux CPU and Network. But even those dont show data.

So now my questions. Im doing something wrong? It there something missing on the VPS i installed for building the data? Its a CentOS5 full install.

As for the agent, do i really have to start the agent back on each server reboot? It seems it doesn start by itself. Maybe i should not had installed this platform indepent agent, it do takes allot of CPU and Ram just for being an monitoring agent. Is there a smarter way to install Agents on Red Hat Linux servers? Why are no data in the HQ server?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
nibb
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, not it starts to show some metrics on Free memory and other stuff. I will dig more into how to get data for apache and other stuff.
0 Kudos