VMware Cloud Community
benkhart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Hyperic user, hopefully simple question..

Hey all... I'm a switcher from Zenoss here. Question: I've got about 15 Windows 03 boxes I need to monitor.. installing the agent is a snap. But inside the HQ after an auto-discovery I get an error stating: "Unable to connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2144: Connection Refused"

Now I know the agent is actually working since the Desc, IP info, OS ver, etc info is populated, however this port 2144 being blocked basically is throwing me off. None of these boxes even has ICS enabled therefore the Windows Firewall service wont start since it depends on ICS. The server and all agents are on the same subnet so no hardware firewalls in between. I've tried both secure and non-secure on teh agent communication with the server. Made no difference.

My server is running Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn and other than the normal updates since the Fiesty install, the only other app that's been loaded is Hyperic.

I know this might be a Windoze issue, but I'm hoping somoene has run into this before.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you certain the agent is still running on the Windows box? That
is, is it possible it started up, sent in some initial information to
the HQ server and then stopped running? Have you installed the agent
as a Windows service or are you running it manually?

Also, assuming the agents did report in at some point, did the report
the correct IP address to the HQ server. That is, if you go to the
Inventory tab for each of those platforms do you see what you would
expect to see?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would try doing a 'nmap' from the ubuntu box to the windows box or from the windows box doing a 'netstat -na' to see if port 2144 is actually up and listening.

The agent will send its metric data to the server on ports 7080/7443 so that is why you see that info populated. However the when the server needs to communicate to the agent, it does so via port 2144 on the agent. Server->Agent communication is usually for changing settings on the agent( setting collection intervals, setting which metrics to collect) and for control actions.

-Alex.
benkhart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok using netstat -na from the windows server I see no 2144 open in any form or fashion. Now like I said neither ICS nor the Windows Firewall is running so what could be causing this port not to get opened.
0 Kudos
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you certain the agent is still running on the Windows box? That
is, is it possible it started up, sent in some initial information to
the HQ server and then stopped running? Have you installed the agent
as a Windows service or are you running it manually?

Also, assuming the agents did report in at some point, did the report
the correct IP address to the HQ server. That is, if you go to the
Inventory tab for each of those platforms do you see what you would
expect to see?

0 Kudos
benkhart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And from nmap -v "target" I see no 2144 open either.... what did I not do?
0 Kudos
benkhart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok so I feel like such a dumba$$ now. I first ran the hq-agent.exe to setup the data file, then reran with the -i switch thinking.. ok assuming that after it installed as a service it would start. Boy was I wrong. you guys get a cookie!
0 Kudos
noah_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's not just you. The Windows install and start-up procedure needs
some work and confuses many people. It's on the list of improvements
we would like to make, it just hasn't made it to the top yet.

0 Kudos