VMware Cloud Community
nickp_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

New Hyperic User here

Hi

I was looking for a good monitoring solution, and have tested several solutions the last 2 weeks. Zabbix, ZenOSS, Nagios etc.... but ended with Hyperic.

I was happy to see i could configure it in reasonable time.. the other solutions was a pain configuring it.

Still got some questions, here i go 🙂

1.Can i make a server template, for example blackberry with all the services in it, so i can create 1 allert for the server template?

2. I would like to know if a windows backup has been run successfully, any idea howto do that?

3. I would like to see the windows server eventviewer from the system, application & security. I only can see 1 at a time.

Sorry for all those questions & thx

Ps: i need to translate some plugins to dutch, i could post them here somewhere for other dutch users...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Nick! Welcome to Hyperic, and we're glad you've made it this far.

As for your questions, hopefully I can give you some good pointers.

1. We do have a "group alerting" feature in enterprise version of HQ. I'm not sure which version you're using. This feature is not yet in HQ OS.
2. If it's mentioned in a log file / event viewer, there should be a way to capture that based on a regex
3. Not being familiar with Windows, I'm not sure I understand the question - are you saying you can only see each eventviewer one at a time, and you'd like to see a combined view?

As for the plugin translation, we welcome those contributions. Feel free to post them here. We have a few community-contributed translations that we are putting into a wiki.

Also, to help you get the most out of HQ, you may want to check out our Test Ride Guide - http://www.hyperic.com/downloads/assets/review_guide.pdf

Thanks,
John Mark
Community Manager
nickp_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thx for the reply, maybe my explanation isn't that good...

What i mean is the following: let's say we have blackberry on the server.
Blackberry has several services, let's say black service and berry service.

Is it possible to make a "server" with those services. So if i have more of those it will be under the correct server and not in the standard windows services. Do you know what i mean? I would also like to have a server "Windows core" with the dhcp service etc underneat.

about the logviewer: in configuration properties i can check the server.log track enable, i thought this was vor the eventlog of windows, am i on the wrong track here? Would like to see the system & application log.

The backup is ntbackup that is queued in the scheduled tasks, i would like to see that de backup was completed succesfully.

If i find something here i will post the solution here.

PS: One last thing 🙂 the time is am/pm can i change this?

thx for your help, it's a real community feeling here comparing to other solutions...
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the community! Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for your bberry question, or the am/pm question. I will check on the am/pm though because that fits some of the work we're doing for this next release. I think you're right that its not configurable at the moment.

Also, we'd love the dutch plugins! We're about to open up the ability for users to contribute plugins and HOWTO docs in the very near future. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
-Stacey
0 Kudos