VMware Cloud Community
gkhazzard
Contributor
Contributor

New Hyperic Installation - Agent Cannot Talk to Server

Good afternoon everyone. I'm brand new to Hyperic, and I did run through the forums looking for answers before I posted here. I tried a few of the workaround and solutions that seemed applicable to the problem I am having, including reinstalling both the agent and the server, with no luck. Basically what is happening is the famous "Error: Unable to communicate with server -- Provider Not Setup" message in the agent log file.

Setup
HQ Server is on Windows Standard 2003 SP2. Installed via the MSI, accepted all defaults except to not install the agent on this server. Used default username and password. This machine is on a VM Node.

HQ Agent is on a Windows Standard 2003 SP2, running Tomcat 5.5, again accepted all defaults during installation, except only installed agent. This is a physical windows server box.

I am at a loss to explain why these two machines can't talk to one another for Hyperic when they can communicate perfectly fine via HTTP. I have validated with our firewall guys that they are not blocking the required ports (7080, 7443, etc), and I am more or less at a loss as to where to even begin to look for the problem.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Greg Hazzard
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Greg,

Sorry you're having problems. I would suggest you repeat the Agent setup process.

If agent is installed as a service and started, stop it through the Windows Service Control Panel.

Make sure that the HQ Server is running, and then, reinitialize the agent configuration by running:

hq-agent.exe setup

It will ask you for the configuration information again, and then should successfully connect to the server.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please attach agent log file to this thread.

Good luck!

marie
0 Kudos
jvalkeal_hyperi

Are you using CE or EE version. With CE also server needs to connect to agent. (default port is 2144).
0 Kudos