VMware Cloud Community
lycanthrope_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

Netscreen plugin not returning custom info

Hi all,

I've currently got a Windows XP SP2 box acting as our Hyperic server. It is also running the agent as well. I've configured Hyperic to poll the Netscreens, and it returns the basic system info (OS ver, serial, etc). However, any of the information defined in the vendor MIB's does not appear.

I've compiled the MIB's with smi2smir (don't get me started on that idiocy) and they appear in the listing. I've also done a snmpget with the specific OID's, and they return the requested information from the box being polled. I've restarted the server, Hyperic server, Hyperic agent, SNMP service, and pretty much anything that would be vaguely related to no avail. At this point, I'm convinced it's either something glaringly obvious or highly obscure that is preventing this.

Any advice?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

what properties do you expect to see ? If you have a look at the plugin you'll see that there are only basic system info defined:

<property name="sysContact" description="Contact Name"/>
<property name="sysName" description="Name"/>
<property name="sysLocation" description="Location"/>
<property name="Version" description="Version"/>

You're free to add more properties, the scheme howto is easy:

<property name="<OID>" description="<Description"/>

For more information:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/SNMP+Plugin

How to deploy:
http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Plugin+Development+Center

After deploying you have to delete and create your Netscreen-platforms again.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
lycanthrope_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

I was referring to the Netscreen plugin found at Jira #HHQ-770, specifically the CPU utilization and sessions fields. I've had to do this on a Fedora 7 box before, and this is a rebuild of that so I'm somewhat puzzled as to why it "works" yet Hyperic doesn't report it. And believe me, after my oh-so-joyous foray into Hyperic on Linux I've gotten quite well at RTFM. 🙂
0 Kudos
heman_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
Have your tried running the plugin locally and check the error?
java -jar ./pdk/lib/hq-product.jar -p snmp -t <platformname> and see if it returns the values.
If not, run it in debug by adding -Dlog=debug.
Something obvious I missed out was adding a "," in include statements in the plugin so MIB file was not getting loaded.
lycanthrope_hyp
Contributor
Contributor

And the comma comment helped. I apparently forgot to write the step down where I had to edit the .xml file to reflect the correct names of the MIB's and the path that I put them in. After doing that and restarting the server/agent, works like a charm.

Thanks!
0 Kudos