VMware Cloud Community
bjerngaard
Contributor
Contributor

.NET 2.0 monitoring not working

I can monitor .NET 2.0 on my Windows 2003 host but not on my two Windows XP boxes. There is just no graphs there.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Rasmus

Message was edited by: bjerngaard
0 Kudos
5 Replies
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you seeing any errors in the agent.log files for the two XP boxes? I suspect the issue may be with some perfmon counters that are not loaded by default on the XP boxes. Since the HQ .NET plugin relies on these counters, if they are not loaded, metrics will not be collected as expected.
bjerngaard
Contributor
Contributor

I found the following ERROR messages in the log:

2007-03-14 16:05:10,583 WARN [RuntimeAutodiscoverer] Error running autodiscoverer for plugin: .NET 2.0: Error getting pdh data: org.hyperic.sigar.win32.Win32Exception: The specified object could not be found on the computer

org.hyperic.hq.product.PluginException: Error getting pdh data: org.hyperic.sigar.win32.Win32Exception: The specified object could not be found on the computer

at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.dotnet.DotNetDetector.discoverServices(DotNetDetector.java:156)

at org.hyperic.hq.product.ServerDetector.discoverResources(ServerDetector.java:192)

at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan_internal(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:292)

at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.agent.server.RuntimeAutodiscoverer.doRuntimeScan(RuntimeAutodiscoverer.java:220)

at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.mainRunLoop(ScanManager.java:165)

at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager.access$000(ScanManager.java:41)

at org.hyperic.hq.autoinventory.ScanManager$1.run(ScanManager.java:107)

Caused by: org.hyperic.sigar.win32.Win32Exception: The specified object could not be found on the computer

at org.hyperic.sigar.win32.Pdh.pdhGetInstances(Native Method)

at org.hyperic.sigar.win32.Pdh.getInstances(Pdh.java:95)

at org.hyperic.hq.plugin.dotnet.DotNetDetector.discoverServices(DotNetDetector.java:154)

... 6 more

Seems it can't find what it needs -- just weird that it works on the Win2003 box. I'm running version 3.0.1 of the agent.

Rasmus
0 Kudos
cwitt_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That pdh error is indicating that the perfmon counters it is looking for are not loaded. They are probably amoung the default counters loaded for Win2003. Use perfmon to load the .NET counters, and see if this resolves the problem.
0 Kudos
bjerngaard
Contributor
Contributor

There is 12 performance objects starting with ".NET CLR..." and 7 starting with "ASP.NET...", and a bunch of counters in each object. Do you have any idea what counters it might be?

Comparing what I see in perfmon on my Win2003 and my WinXP there is no immediate difference but maybe I'm not looking the right place?
0 Kudos
bjerngaard
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried enabling all counters in Performance Objects that start with '.NET' or 'ASP.NET' and restarted the agent. It did not have without any effect in Hyperic

The agent log from after restart is attached

Anyone having a clue on how I get .NET working on WinXP?

Thanks,
Rasmus
0 Kudos