VMware Cloud Community
Ahriakin
Contributor
Contributor

Moving Server, 3.1, Windows 2003

Hi,

I will be replacing our reporting server (Win2K3 SP2), currently Hyperic's 3.1's home, in the next few weeks. The new unit will have the same IP, though not DNS record (I programmed the agents with the IP direct only). Is it enough to copy the entire Hyperic server folder across to the new machine and re-register the service, will the fact that I use secure connections agent->server complicate this (in case any server platform specifics are included in the keys)?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ahriakin
Contributor
Contributor

Answering my own but 81 views so far means enough folks were interested enough in the topic to make it worth completing. So, yes it worked fine: Stopped/Uninstalled the service on the original server, copied the whole Hyperic Server folder to the new server, changed the IPs on both servers so the new one had the original's address, cleared the ARP caches on my local network devices, registered and started the service on the new server. All working fine.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Glad it worked for you - thanks for the update. I'll need to update the
forge with steps on moving servers.

-John Mark

Derek Coleman wrote:
> Answering my own but 81 views so far means enough folks were interested enough in the topic to make it worth completing. So, yes it worked fine: Stopped/Uninstalled the service on the original server, copied the whole Hyperic Server folder to the new server, changed the IPs on both servers so the new one had the original's address, cleared the ARP caches on my local network devices, registered and started the service on the new server. All working fine.

0 Kudos
Ahriakin
Contributor
Contributor

Np. I've received enough help here already it's good to be able to give at least a little back.
Thanks for the great product, it's refreshing to have something so powerful made so easy to manage and migrate. Usually the bigger it is the harder it's going to hit you when you need to do something with it.
0 Kudos