VMware Cloud Community
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring Tomcat logs on Windows

Hello,

I am trying to get Hyperic HQ 4.5.2 to monitor Tomcat logs on Windows. However, in the config screen, it appears that you must specify a specific file name for the log file(s) you want to monitor. This doesn't work with the way Tomcat works on Windows (at least the Tomcat version shipped via the ASF installer). It has a built-in log roller which creates log files like catalina.2011-09-18.log and localhost.2011-09-18.log. When it rolls the log, it uses the current date.

The config screen for Tomcat does not allow you to specify a regular expression or use a wild card in the name of the log, such as catalina.*.log.

Anyone know of a work-around that allows me to monitor my Tomcat logs on Windows?

Thanks,
Brian
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jbaptiste_hyper
Contributor
Contributor

But doesn't it creates a catalina.log file ? AFAIK, the ones with the date are the rotated logs, so after that they aren't being written anymore, so there's no case on monitoring those logs. That's what happens on linux and I'm pretty sure it must be the same on windows, but I can't assure it as I don't have a tomcat install on windows at hand.
0 Kudos