VMware Cloud Community
linux-guru
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring Switches with SNMP

Hi folks,

because of the very good support I received here until now, I dare to ask another question. 🙂

I added a "Network Host Interface" for a already monitored switch. Port-monitoring is done by default based on SNMP-value "ifDescr". Unfortunately my switches (all Allied Telesyn) send "IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: Allied Telesyn Ethernet Switch".
I can customize port-descriptions but they are listed under "IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: Port 2". Watch the difference of ifDescr and ifName !
How can I modify hyperic to use ifName instead of ifDescr to recognize each port?
Might there be another solution?

TIA

Tobias
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We use ifDescr because ifName is only available if the device
implements the ifXTable (not all do). I have changed the plugin so
you can choose between ifDescr, ifName, ifAlias and ifIndex:

http://jira.hyperic.com/browse/HHQ-112

The interfaces should be auto-discovered, but you can also create
them by hand if you wish.

0 Kudos
chathfr
Contributor
Contributor

I copied the plugin mentioned in HHQ-112 to the two directions mentioned. I tried to restart the agent in vain. I then restarted the server and crashed hypericHQ

Would like some suggestions...

[chathfr@nick /]$ /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/bin/hq-server.sh start
Starting HQ server...
Initializing HQ server configuration...
\WARNING: file was not writeable: /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hq-install.log
Logs will be written to /tmp instead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An ERROR occurred, the installation cannot continue.
FATAL EXCEPTION at /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/data/server.xml:74: : Error preparing HQ engine: /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hq-engine/server/default/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat55.sar/server.xml (Permission denied)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting HQ built-in database...
pg_ctl: could not open PID file "/usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hqdb/data/postmaster.pid": Permission denied
cat: /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hqdb/data/postgresql.conf: Permission denied
/usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/bin/hq-server.sh: line 29: /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hqdb/data/.postgresql.conf.tmp: Permission denied
/usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/bin/hq-server.sh: line 30: /usr/local/hyperic/server-2.7.0/hqdb/data/.postgresql.conf.tmp: Permission denied
0 Kudos
john_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You're having permissions problems. Looks like you installed HQ as one
user and are trying to start it as another user that has no perms on the
necessary files. Check the ownership of all the installed HQ files.

0 Kudos