VMware Cloud Community
llowder
Contributor
Contributor

Monitoring Java apps in Tomcat6

I've got 3 tomcat6 clusters, with 3 nodes in each.

I've got Hyperic setup to monitor the tomcat6 instances, however, I need to monitor the apps running inside the tomcat6 instances

What is the best way to do this? I know I can setup HTTP monitors, but having to manually set that up does not scale well (I've got 100+ apps to monitor, so creating 300+ HTTP monitors....)

Can this be scripted? I've got almost everything else automated when it comes to adding a new app, so doing something like an HTTP monitor would be OK if I could do it programmaticaly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like AppInsight might be a good tool to monitor this.  AppInSight can also leverage the availability information collected by Hyperic and combine it with its performance information.  Hyperic 5.0 and AppInsight 5.0 are bundled together as APM 5.0.

http://www.vmware.com/products/application-platform/vfabric-application-performance-manager/overview...

0 Kudos
llowder
Contributor
Contributor

That looks interesting, but that does not answer my question and I am not interested in purchasing another product. I want to use the one I have already paid for to do the job it is supposed to be able to do.

0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this set up in a virtualized environment? Reason I ask, is many folks have pre-set up the agent and so then it can become auto-discoverable when it comes online.

0 Kudos
llowder
Contributor
Contributor

It is virtualized, however, the problem is not that the hq-agent isn't running, or isn't finding tomcat6, as it is.

It's that I don't want to have to manually configure 113+ apps times the three nodes each app lives on its repsective cluster.

The apps aren't instrumented specfically for hyperic, but I do have jmx enabled within tomcat itself, so can access the status of the apps that way.

I'm just trying to find out the best way to do this in an automated fashion that won't bring my server to its knees each time hyperic does a check.

0 Kudos
FuddruckerMcGee
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a very similar problem and am in touch with support to see how it can be done.

In our case, we have a variety of apps and as a SaaS company, we want the metrics to appear separately for each of our customers.  There should be an easy way to do it but I haven't found it yet.

0 Kudos